Can I run new games without losing the HBC?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zeldafanzero, Sep 6, 2009.

Sep 6, 2009
  1. Zeldafanzero
    OP

Newcomer Zeldafanzero Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I've been around since the whole HBC thing kicked off, and as a result focused on homebrew games instead of retail for the last year or so.

However, now The Beatles: Rock Band is out next week and I'm thinking of buying it.

The only problem is that I know there are some HBC/Twilight Hack-busting updates on certain disks.

How should I proceed? I really want this game!

Thanks in advance!

2. Arendo

Member Arendo GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I believe it's even safe to update, as long as you already have HBC installed and your IOSes patched...

I've still got HBC and I'm on 4.1E - using waninkoko's updaters and patchers and whatever [​IMG]

Anyway, I think it's safest to disable disc update check, using preloader or something...

3. Zeldafanzero
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, thanks.

Can someone detail what I should do, or tell me where to go for a guide to do this? I don't wanna lose my channels I've installed!

Thanks!

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    As far as I know, there is not a single update so far that will remove the HBC. They may remove things like cIOS, but not the HBC.

Just use Waninkoko's firmware updaters. They'll install the important components needed for the next firmware but without removing your cIOS and the like.

5. Zeldafanzero
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply but it seems Waninkoko's program only works if you have your Wii connected to the Internet, but I don't. [​IMG]

Is there any way I can play Beatles: Rock Band WITHOUT losing DVDX/Backup Loader/etc.?

Thanks.

6. Primenay13

Member Primenay13 GBAtemp Regular

United States

You can update without losing HBC. Back it up on an sd card if you are really worried about it.

7. jabmaster2

Member jabmaster2 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    U won't lose anything with a normal update just as long u have cios installed b4. Make sure to install a patched ios 60 though when ur updated to 4.1. Or u can always just loadvthe game through gecko os and let it install needed ios updates

8. diego_pmc

Newcomer diego_pmc Advanced Member

United States
    And even if you would lose it (I doubt it), there are newer and better ways than Twilight Hack of installing HBC now. Read this tutorial if you want to learn more: [​IMG]
    ? http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

9. Arendo

Netherlands
    there are offline updates too... although, you have to get the files from somewhere and put them on your SD, every one of waninkoko's updaters has come with the possibility to update from SD or internet...
    some tutorials have complete offline packages... good luck hunting [​IMG]

10. Zeldafanzero
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, so I'm happy that I can keep HBC, but what about the backup loaders?

The newest one I've got is the Gamma loader. Will that still work on 4.1e, or will Ninty kill it when I upgrade?

11. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    your loader is outdated. However it's using ios 249, which as stated above, will not be removed by an update.

So the loader will still work. However, i'd recommend downloading neogamma instead. Which can easily be found and is going to have much more compatibility than what you're currently using.

Also, and I've never tested this, but all you have to do is boot a retail disk in a back-up loader to bypass the updates. The loaders dont read the update partition. If you're that worried about updating, just boot it that way. Problem solved.

12. Zeldafanzero
    OP

United Kingdom
    That's really cool. Thanks!

But don't some games NEED new IOS updates? Like for Mic. compatibility or whatever?

Thanks.

13. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Depends on what you're working with. You could just install the .wad's manually.

Just grab 37, 38, 53, and 55. That'll cover any game out there and wiiware. If you really need a reliable place to download them, let me know. I'll PM you a mediafire dump.

14. jakejm79

Member jakejm79 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Also IOS56 too

15. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You need it for 1 little feature in 1 game, it's far from required.

16. jakejm79

Member jakejm79 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Two games, B:RB and GH5, and since (s)he asked about Mics I assume there is a good chance he will be using one of those games. And using your justification IOS 53 and/or 55 aren't required either since only a few games use them.

17. Arendo

Netherlands
    why not just install startpatch or preloader to enable 'skip disc update check'?