Can I run ds games on my 3ds xl at a higher resolution than the original ds game?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
🤦‍♀️
You know… Your favorite answers (No, Nope) are neither helpful nor friendly nor explanatory nor always correct.

Can I run ds games on my 3ds xl at a higher resolution than the original ds game?
Define "running on higher resolution" first.

Many DS games are 2D, using sprites. They cannot be just rendered in higher resolution like 3D games. Even using PC emulators and filters like HQ (or whatever they are called) you won't get more detail or 100% smooth HD graphics out of low-res 2D games. So technically the answer to really run (render) DS games at higher resolution on 3DS is "no". But that answer falls short because there are possibilities to adjust/tweak/optimize(?) the output.

So…
The resolution of the DS(i) is 256×192 for both screens while the 3DS family has 400¹×240 for the upper screen and 320×240 for the lower screen. Obviously the 3DS has to do some upscaling to fill the screens to 320×240. By holding (Select) or (Start) on starting a DS(i) game you can disable that and run the older games pixel perfect (and pretty small).
Since the resolution 3DS compared to DS isn't that much higher and not a multiple of the original, upscaling is limited and will always look somewhat blurry. You can try patching the upscaler and see what mode suits you the most. There are possibilities to run many DS games in widescreen mode with that as well.

¹The upper screen actually has 800 pixels horizontally for all models but the old 2DS ("doorstop design"). The 3D mode offers 400×240 for each eye. The 800×240 mode can be used to increase horizontal resolution → Demonstration

but

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, but the 3ds xl has a resolution of 800 x 240 which is actually a lot bigger than the original ds

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
🤦‍♀️
You know… Your favorite answers (No, Nope) are neither helpful nor friendly nor explanatory nor always correct.

Define "running on higher resolution" first.

Many DS games are 2D, using sprites. They cannot be just rendered in higher resolution like 3D games. Even using PC emulators and filters like HQ (or whatever they are called) you won't get more detail or 100% smooth HD graphics out of low-res 2D games. So technically the answer to really run (render) DS games at higher resolution on 3DS is "no". But that answer falls short because there are possibilities to adjust/tweak/optimize(?) the output.

So…
The resolution of the DS(i) is 256×192 for both screens while the 3DS family has 400¹×240 for the upper screen and 320×240 for the lower screen. Obviously the 3DS has to do some upscaling to fill the screens to 320×240. By holding (Select) or (Start) on starting a DS(i) game you can disable that and run the older games pixel perfect (and pretty small).
Since the resolution 3DS compared to DS isn't that much higher and not a multiple of the original, upscaling is limited and will always look somewhat blurry. You can try patching the upscaler and see what mode suits you the most. There are possibilities to run many DS games in widescreen mode with that as well.

Let's define "upscaling." Because there is good upscaling, like some TVs do and some HDMI DVD players do where they try to improve the lower-res image to make it look closer to the higher res they are actually running at. Then there's bad upscaling like what the Wii U does when it plays Wii games over HDMI, or the 3DS does when it plays DS(i) game at (any of the available resolutions of the 3DS). Since it is not improving the image, it tends to look worse/blurrier. The 3DS does not have the horsepower to do what the OP is asking just like the Wii U didn't.

Sometimes the one word answer is the correct one and nothing more is needed to be said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu