Can I restore NAND with BootMii as IOS?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by leoszt, Jan 14, 2010.

Jan 14, 2010
  1. leoszt
    OP

Newcomer leoszt Member

Brazil
    After some basic softmodding original discs (like Mario Kart) started to ask for disc update, what would result in a instant brick right?

So I figured out that the best thing to do was to restore NAND using a backup I did when I first installed HBC and BootMii. Wrong, since I installed BootMii as IOS, it was impossible to restore the backup and now I can't roll back.

Preloader was my next try, but everyone says to use it only with downgraded IOS, which I don't have anymore.

Well, now I seem to be little bit cornered and don't know how to fix this.

My system menu is 4.0U, just bought my Wii 2 weeks ago.
    All modding I did to the console, was:
    - Installed HBC, BootMii and DVDx through HackMii
    - Instaled IOS249 through Waninkoko's method
    - Herme's 222/223
    - Tried to install Back up Launcher but had in Issue with downgrading IOS35 (I think this is the problem).

Is there a way to fix the disc channel? (not asking for updates)
    Is there a way to restore NAND?
    Should I look for fixing IOS35? (I need to know the correct version for 4.0U so I can get it with NUSD and restore it with TRB)

well, these r my questions.

thanks for all the info.

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    if i were u, i would update to 4.2 using xzxero's offline method in his simplistic mod stickied thread

install priiloader and use the hacks (i dont who told u it only works with downgraded IOS)... see my signature for priiloader bundle

u can restore your nand using bootmii as ios, but u obviously first have to have made a nand backup also using bootmii

3. simonarturo

Newcomer simonarturo Advanced Member

Venezuela
    he said he did NAND backup when he installed HBC and BootMii (as IOS)
    My guess is that he's stuck at the screen where it says you have to press the Gamecube controller's buttons in order to restore

Actually, how safe is it to restore a NAND backup with BootMii installed as IOS instead of Boot2? Everytime I hear people saying "Install it as Boot2!!!", but I didn't have a choice, it was IOS or nothing

4. leoszt
    OP

Newcomer leoszt Member

Brazil
    simonarturo is right, I have the backup, but am stuck at the restore page, bacuse it is 'too dangerous'.
    BootMii as IOS is good for nothing after all

Dangerous is my mother wanting to play mario kart and hitting the update button. This is creeping me out.

@xflak40

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=135174

in this prealoader guide, it is said, in the section "what you need", that you need firmware 3.2/4.0 with downgraded IOSes.

Do you u think that installing a patched 4.2 would solve the problem? Have not read good thing about patched updates...

5. XFlak

Canada
    it should be safe to use bootmii as IOS, its just not as good as bootmii as boot2 because it has to be loaded via the HBC or priiloader

bootmii as boot2 users only need to put an sd card in with the right files on it and it will start bootmii, so its safer

that BS, this was written in May 2009, its just a little outdated. The only thing priiloader needs to install is cios249 or ES_Identify patched IOS36 (preloader, not priiloader, also needs a patched system menu IOS).

6. leoszt
    OP

Newcomer leoszt Member

Brazil
    It should be safe, but it is actually impossibile. It won't let you restore. restoration is disabled on IOS instalation.

Okay, maybe i can install preloader, but will it help me restoring NAND?

7. leoszt
    OP

Newcomer leoszt Member

Brazil
    Well I must report that applying xzxero's tutorial fixed the problem, original discs are not asking for updates anymore.

thanks a lot man

8. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    leoszt, you better just shut up if you don't know what youre talking about.

ive restored nand backups plenty of times using the IOS version. granted, it is a stupid idea, but it still works.

9. XFlak

Canada
    i've never heard this before... did u have a file called "nand.bin" saved to the root of your sd card? I thought bootmii IOS could make and restore nand dumps, am I wrong?

also glad 2 hear u got ur problem solved, but now i want to get to the bottom of this bootmii ios question

10. simonarturo

Newcomer simonarturo Advanced Member

Venezuela
    maybe he just doesn't have the gamecube controller required for restoring from ios

so, for those of you who have restored from ios (and claimed that it's a stupid idea), what's the result? Doesn't it just....restores the nand to how it was when you did the backup?

11. leoszt
    OP

Newcomer leoszt Member

Brazil
    @giantpune and you better shut up before being rude with other ppl.

if I said so, its because I already tried.
    BootMii didnt even read my backup

it said something like "Oh, BootMii as IOS is too dangerous to restore the NAND, but if you are really sure, press A+B+X+Y".

Well, I do have and GC controller availabe and when I pressed those buttons, it just went back to the menu.

It executed the function "press any button to go back" instead of "press A+B+X+Y to restore".

12. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    I think it's just blind luck getting all the buttons pressed at the same time to restore you're nand from bootmii as IOS

13. XFlak

Canada
    @ leoszt...

#1, show some respect for Giantpune, if he wants to be an ass, he's earned the right, granted i wouldn't like being spoken to that way either, but next time just let the developer have the last word, because no1 will ever side with a noob over some1 like Giantpune... sorry, but that's life (maybe u didn't know he's worked on usb loader gx and dop ios mod... which makes it even worse, don't get into an arguement with some1 if u don't know how much power he commands!)

#2, just because you lack the coordination to press A+B+X+Y at the same time doesn't mean it doesn't work. Other people have said that you need to have near perfect timing, and u will need to try it out a few times before getting the timing just right. Honestly, did u really think "press A+B+X+Y to restore" was just there as a joke? Or that team twiizers missed something? No, much more likely that u need to have perfectly synchronized button pressing skills...

14. leoszt
    OP

Newcomer leoszt Member

Brazil
    #1 hm.. well, didnt know he was developer.. Just saw his name on dop ios mod. ok sorry
    Thought he was a random guy.

#2 Well I thought it was somewhat of 'disabled' for security reasons. Man, I tried up to twenty times, it was not possible (in my mind at least) that i was not being synchronized enough.

but ok, everything is fine now, sorry for the blames.
    I hate being an asshole, but telling me to shut up was kind of offensive.

One question still. Following xzxero's tutorial, I installed priiloader, so it loads up before everything.
    With it, I can boot directly to HBC or to BootMii, and with it I can restore NAND in case I fuckup the whole system. This, of course, IF I can be perfeclty synchronized ( [​IMG] ), right?

Still, it would be a stupid ideia, according to giantpune. Why is tthat?