Can I request a cover or label for a game?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just wanted to see if I could ask someone to scan a CD-Label for a Wii game.
I was thinking it may be OK as the game covers are up on the release list.
Would a single request be OK? What about a thread where people upped scans for all sorts of games?

I know of other sites dedicated to this purpose but was hoping for some help from the GBAtemp community.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can probably find some of warez sites, just like there are audio CD covers. Even though I don't see how they would be prohibited, there is no other reason to explain why there isn't widespread distribution of cd scans

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can probably find some of warez sites, just like there are audio CD covers. Even though I don't see how they would be prohibited, there is no other reason to explain why there isn't widespread distribution of cd scansThere are dedicated cover sites like CDcovers.cc that do provide "widespread distribution of cd scans".
Box art is copyrighted just like the games.
This is correct but as I said in the first post, GBAtemp all ready has cover scans on the front page in the Wii and DS release lists.

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GBAtemp all ready has cover scans on the front page in the Wii and DS release lists.
then why the hell do you need em from us?
I'm after a particular CD-Label scan but that is beside the point of the thread. I'm trying to find out if requesting such a thing is allowable on the forums.
If it is allowed then I shall make a request in detail and offer what I have to others.
I believe if people are after a cover scan of a game that they will want a higher resolution image than those on the front page. Also they may want a complete cover.
The point about them being on the front page was to highlight that as far as copyright is concerned it would be no different (AFAIK) than what is all ready on the site. Copyright aside there are obvious differences to high res full covers / CD labels and the 'box shots' that are on the front page.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Why bother? It's a waste of labels and ink. If you want it to look like an original then buy one. And if you're looking to sell them on to other people then forget it..

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why bother? It's a waste of labels and ink. If you want it to look like an original then buy one. And if you're looking to sell them on to other people then forget it..
I bother as I keep all my titles in a CD wallet. I do not use labels but print directly onto printable discs. It is much easier to identify a game from a coloured label than a bit of texta scribble.
So you may find it a waste, and you may prefer to not do so but others (namely me) do like to.

I don't see why you would bring up selling them. Did anything I've written give you reason to assume I may be doing so?
For the record I am not and have no intention of selling illegal copies of these or any other games.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's not open that door...
.. be creative, design your own.
smile.gif

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let's not open that door...
.. be creative, design your own.
smile.gif
If that's an official NO from a moderator then I'll consider the question dealt with and not bother trying to share label art through the site.

Is that an official NO?

BTW it's not about creativity (or lack thereof) to me. I like to have the original label art.
That said, custom labels can be quite nice and that is maybe something else that could be shared on the forums? YES/NO
Considering that the artwork to be used on a custom label is usually taken from commercial sources (character pictures, etc.) I guess copyright wise it may be as problematic.

Nice to have a MOD comment at least
smile.gif

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say your best bet would to deal with this privately with someone on the forums through PM's. This way you get your faceplate, and GBAtemp doesnt get in trouble (doubt they would, but who knows. Better safe than sorry)

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't want this to be a secret thing. The whole point of asking was so members could openly contribute.
I thought it was something that GBAtemp users might be able to use, not just to get me a label.

I guess I better take my hand off my knob
wink.gif

Would still like to hear from staff whether or not it would be allowed. Clearing up the rules can help if this sort of thing comes up again in the future.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

Low-res scans of cover art, screenshots, for the purposes of news, editorial, review... I don't see a problem.
High-res scans of copyrighted works... maybe it's just me but, I see a problem.

You are of course welcome to PM the admins on this, just sharing my point of view.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
shtonkalot: Ohh actually that kinda makes sense. I couldn't think of a reason why anyone would jump through hoops to get labels and covers other than selling, but no cover... yeah that's a case I didn't think of. Sorry, don't mind me. (although you'll make the good old CD-R pens cry. Or as an alternative: slot the cover art in the wallet slots?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1