Homebrew Can I remap 3DS buttons and keep the changes in DS mode?

szymon170

Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi. Is there any possibility to remap 3DS buttons and use them in DS mode? I want to remap touch screen to circle pad so I could play Super Mario 64 DS with controls similar to Super Mario 3D Land. It'd be much more comfortable to play this game like that, because the default controls aren't very accurate and nice and using the touch pad to control isn't really a good solution for playing this game for longer periods of time. And I have a New 3DS in XL version, so the it's even harder to control it because of the bigger touch screen.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, okay then...
I wish that in future it will be possible, it'd be so fun to play SM64DS with 3DS circle pad (you can play it now with circle pad but it acts like the d-pad).

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That sounds good, but I think that devs don't really like being asked to do something for you, because they've got bigger projects to work on, or the thing you're asking for is just too hard to be done.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, the TWL/NTR mode is separated from the 3DS mode the changes woudnt carry
Maybe you can somehow connect it? Or maybe somehow replace the 3DS's home menu prompt ("Do you want to return to Home Menu" prompt while you press the home button when you play any DS game" to store remap data? I don't know, it may sound silly but maybe somehow it'd be possible.

@smileyhead it kinda sounded like you were choosing a Pokemon.
I choose you, @Apache Thunder!

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Or maybe somehow replace the 3DS's home menu prompt ("Do you want to return to Home Menu" prompt while you press the home button when you play any DS game" to store remap data?
Just because it looks like a dialogue from 3DS Mode, it doesn't mean it is. DS Mode is an entirely separate Operating System the console reboots into whenever you start a DS game.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just because it looks like a dialogue from 3DS Mode, it doesn't mean it is. DS Mode is an entirely separate Operating System the console reboots into whenever you start a DS game.
Well, the DS didn't had anything running in background, but in the 3DS's DS mode when you press home button it shows you a little prompt about going to 3DS mode, and DS didn't even had a home button, so maybe it's somehow possible...

Oh wait in DSi you could enter home menu if you press the power button.
But I didn't had a DSi or DS so I don't know if you can go back to the game after you enter the DSi's home menu.

Last edited by szymon170,

cheuble

squid
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, the DS didn't had anything running in background, but in the 3DS's DS mode when you press home button it shows you a little prompt about going to 3DS mode, and DS didn't even had a home button, so maybe it's somehow possible...
Nope, the only thing you could do would change directly buttons maps in twlBg. It's the easiest way

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Well, the DS Mode in the 3DS is not the exact same thing as on the DS itself.
The dialogue got implemented with the 3DS.

g309768

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you can somehow connect it? Or maybe somehow replace the 3DS's home menu prompt ("Do you want to return to Home Menu" prompt while you press the home button when you play any DS game" to store remap data? I don't know, it may sound silly but maybe somehow it'd be possible.

@smileyhead it kinda sounded like you were choosing a Pokemon.
I choose you, @Apache Thunder!
You really can't , sorry, it would evolve a modification to the FIRM itself.
Maybe ask a dev like the one you just tagged

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would require OP to have a flashcart which they may not have.
Unfortunately, the hack only runs on a PC using an emulator, so that's no solution either. I was looking all over for a hack that would just invert the dash/tiptoe behavior of the game, but it doesn't seem like such a thing has been made. I wouldn't mind the default controls, but it's awkward to be holding down dash while trying to hit other buttons.

Edit: Actually, it looks like there might have been a romhack version that would have worked on a flashcart, but the link to it in his video is long dead. Does anyone happen to have a copy of the patch file somewhere?

Last edited by Cralex,

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh wait in DSi you could enter home menu if you press the power button.
But I didn't had a DSi or DS so I don't know if you can go back to the game after you enter the DSi's home menu.
pressing the home button to bring up that prompt while in ds mode just overrides the screen and puts the ds into "sleep mode".
You can see this yourself by opening and closing that prompt as fast as you can in mario ds. If you do it fast enough, you will catch the end of mario saying "bye bye" like he does when you close the ds.

szymon170

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a flashcard, so DS ROM hacks aren't any problem for me.
And I have A9LH so I think that I can modify my Firm without any problems (but it'd probably result in a brick, but I can simply restore from backup).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

pressing the home button to bring up that prompt while in ds mode just overrides the screen and puts the ds into "sleep mode".
You can see this yourself by opening and closing that prompt as fast as you can in mario ds. If you do it fast enough, you will catch the end of mario saying "bye bye" like he does when you close the ds.
I know but it's still something, because 3DS knows that the Home Button was pressed. DSi and DS didn't had this button.

EDIT:
I just want to normally control characters with circle pad, that ROM hack just changes physics of the game.

Last edited by szymon170,

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know this has only been done on a game by game basis and there isn't a global remap code. I imagine it would be easier to create remapped controls for whatever game you want to play. In this particular instance however, what you're asking is probably possible but I would imagine very difficult to code - not just from a 3DS input to DS input standpoint but also the logistics of mapping the touch screen's movement detection to the circle pad seem rather complicated to be honest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s