Can I remap 3DS buttons and keep the changes in DS mode?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by szymon170, Oct 8, 2016.

1. szymon170
    OP

szymon170 Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    Hi. Is there any possibility to remap 3DS buttons and use them in DS mode? I want to remap touch screen to circle pad so I could play Super Mario 64 DS with controls similar to Super Mario 3D Land. It'd be much more comfortable to play this game like that, because the default controls aren't very accurate and nice and using the touch pad to control isn't really a good solution for playing this game for longer periods of time. And I have a New 3DS in XL version, so the it's even harder to control it because of the bigger touch screen.

2. smileyhead

smileyhead I am DEFINITELY a madman with a box.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I don't think that's possible.
    You'd need a separate, DS Mode patch for that.
    I think.

3. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    Oh, okay then...
    I wish that in future it will be possible, it'd be so fun to play SM64DS with 3DS circle pad (you can play it now with circle pad but it acts like the d-pad).

4. cheuble

cheuble Marieismâ„¢

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    I think it would require a twlBg patch, and some reverse-engineering. Maybe you could ask some ds mode devs?

5. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    That sounds good, but I think that devs don't really like being asked to do something for you, because they've got bigger projects to work on, or the thing you're asking for is just too hard to be done.

6. smileyhead

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Last edited by smileyhead, Oct 8, 2016
    gnmmarechal and swabbo like this.
  7. g309768

g309768 Banned

Banned
    Oct 7, 2016
    United States
    No, the TWL/NTR mode is separated from the 3DS mode the changes woudnt carry

8. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    Maybe you can somehow connect it? Or maybe somehow replace the 3DS's home menu prompt ("Do you want to return to Home Menu" prompt while you press the home button when you play any DS game" to store remap data? I don't know, it may sound silly but maybe somehow it'd be possible.

@smileyhead it kinda sounded like you were choosing a Pokemon.
    I choose you, @Apache Thunder!

cheuble and smileyhead like this.
  9. smileyhead

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Just because it looks like a dialogue from 3DS Mode, it doesn't mean it is. DS Mode is an entirely separate Operating System the console reboots into whenever you start a DS game.

10. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    Well, the DS didn't had anything running in background, but in the 3DS's DS mode when you press home button it shows you a little prompt about going to 3DS mode, and DS didn't even had a home button, so maybe it's somehow possible...

Oh wait in DSi you could enter home menu if you press the power button.
    But I didn't had a DSi or DS so I don't know if you can go back to the game after you enter the DSi's home menu.

Last edited by szymon170, Oct 8, 2016
  11. cheuble

cheuble Marieismâ„¢

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    Nope, the only thing you could do would change directly buttons maps in twlBg. It's the easiest way

12. smileyhead

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Well, the DS Mode in the 3DS is not the exact same thing as on the DS itself.
    The dialogue got implemented with the 3DS.

13. g309768

g309768 Banned

Banned
    Oct 7, 2016
    United States
    You really can't , sorry, it would evolve a modification to the FIRM itself.
    Maybe ask a dev like the one you just tagged

14. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2014
    United States
    If it helps. Skelux made a improved controls hack for sm64ds

15. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    That would require OP to have a flashcart which they may not have.

16. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    hacker ThEFlOw did something similar on the PSVita. He had to edit the game and the console, I think.

17. Cralex

Cralex GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    Unfortunately, the hack only runs on a PC using an emulator, so that's no solution either. I was looking all over for a hack that would just invert the dash/tiptoe behavior of the game, but it doesn't seem like such a thing has been made. I wouldn't mind the default controls, but it's awkward to be holding down dash while trying to hit other buttons.

Edit: Actually, it looks like there might have been a romhack version that would have worked on a flashcart, but the link to it in his video is long dead. Does anyone happen to have a copy of the patch file somewhere?

Last edited by Cralex, Oct 9, 2016
  18. Roboman

Roboman GBAtemp Fan

Jan 7, 2016
    United States
    pressing the home button to bring up that prompt while in ds mode just overrides the screen and puts the ds into "sleep mode".
    You can see this yourself by opening and closing that prompt as fast as you can in mario ds. If you do it fast enough, you will catch the end of mario saying "bye bye" like he does when you close the ds.

19. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    I have a flashcard, so DS ROM hacks aren't any problem for me.
    And I have A9LH so I think that I can modify my Firm without any problems (but it'd probably result in a brick, but I can simply restore from backup).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I know but it's still something, because 3DS knows that the Home Button was pressed. DSi and DS didn't had this button.

EDIT:
    I just want to normally control characters with circle pad, that ROM hack just changes physics of the game.

Last edited by szymon170, Oct 9, 2016
  20. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    As far as I know this has only been done on a game by game basis and there isn't a global remap code. I imagine it would be easier to create remapped controls for whatever game you want to play. In this particular instance however, what you're asking is probably possible but I would imagine very difficult to code - not just from a 3DS input to DS input standpoint but also the logistics of mapping the touch screen's movement detection to the circle pad seem rather complicated to be honest.