Can I play SMW Rom Hacks on my GBA?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Eastonator12, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Eastonator12
    OP

Eastonator12 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    United States
    I want to play a IPS patched SMW rom on my GBA. I have tried PocketSNES, but when I load the game with a EZFLASH IV, it glitches out BIG time. Is there another way? thanks

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Yes, if the rom hacks were made using the GBA version of SMW.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For the record it is better to spell out a game name at least once in your post/title. Most people answering this question here probably know but at least think of those that search after you, and not all threads will be like this one.

The GBA SNES emulators are more proof of concept than something you can really get to and play with. Certainly there were some games you could enjoy on them but by and large it is not something you will want to do. Off the top of my head I can't remember how good Super Mario World ever got with any of the GBA SNES emulators either.

Going further many hacks of Mario games for the SNES are known to be... creative with their approach to hardware and may not even work outside certain, older and somewhat inaccurate, PC emulators.

So yeah Jayro's somewhat glib response is probably the better way to get things done here, and it would probably be about as much work as you imagine.