Hacking Can I play NTSC WiiWare WADs on a PAL Wii with USB Loader GX?

FishMonkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've not yet installed any WiiWare but as I'm looking it up it seems to be 50/50 with people saying either yes you can load different region WADs using USB Loader GX or no you have to edit the region of the WAD but that will cause issues like audio slowdown and the game speed will feel off because PAL has a lower refresh rate that NTSC.

Thought I'd ask here for an up to date answer, thanks people :)

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but PAL 50 has lower refresh rate than NTSC, while PAL 60 should be the same speed-wise, maybe there are color differences, but as far as speed should be the same. Wii is capable of both PAL 60 (480i) and Progressive scan / 480p, which is the better setting available. Both work at 60hz, just like NTSC, and Progressive Scan does away with the interlacing, being clearer. There shouldn't be a reason for someone not to use Progressive Scan (Except maybe a handful of games that for some reason might look better as 480i/PAL 60, or you're hooked on a TV that does not support it, but even then you'd be silly not to use PAL 60 and choose PAL 50).

In any case, in USB Loader GX you can force a certain application or game to run in NTSC on a pal system, is what I do for the american copies I have (precisely of games that are only 50hz in european releases, which are few but some important ones are capped at 50hz, like Little King's Story), or the NTSC version of Super Mario 64 on the Wii VC on my PAL Wii. Sadly I know nothing about Wiiware, the games I purchased are all PAL, just like the console.

Of course, to select Progressive Scan you need to connect the system with at least component cables.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: FishMonkey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night