Can I play my NA Smash Bros game online on my JP 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by thebatdadd, Aug 23, 2015.

1. thebatdadd
    OP

thebatdadd GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    United States
    Quick question, I just sold a used JP new 3DS and the owner wants to rely on smea's ninjhax region unlocking app to play his NA Smash Bros (physical copy) online using the system. This is possible right? I never really play games online but I think I have played Pokemon X online using my JP 3DS before...

I'm guessing he will just have to get the latest Smash update from the JP eshop, and then run the game using the region unlocking app and it should be good for online play right?

2. anonynom

anonynom Punchyleaf

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    New Jersey
    I don't think you can update the game out of region

3. thebatdadd
    OP

Jun 26, 2013
    United States
    Hmm but I do remember wonder trading with my NA Pokemon X game on my Japanese 3DS before though. I remember specifically downloading an update from the eshop too (pressed y when starting the game when it was connected to the internet).

4. PolyChrome

PolyChrome Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2013
    Brazil
    - Just download the lastest update packed in '.cia' (matched with the game's region, of course).
    - Use the BigBlueMenu to install it.
    - VoilĂ .

5. thebatdadd
    OP

Jun 26, 2013
    United States
    The 3DS is 9.9 so cia installation isn't possible...he didn't tell me until we met up that all he wants to do with the system is play smash online.

Ah well, I already notified him playing online might not be possible. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. It's really weird how my NA copy of Pokemon Ruby worked on it without a hitch, that's the only game I ever play online