Hacking Can I play CIA games without Gateway card inserted?

Link_Chung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, everyone. I have a newly bought new 3DS LL(JAP, Ver. 9.1) and installed EmuNAND (9.1, too) on it. With the help of DevMenu I installed several CIA games and themes.
Now my question is:
When I am in EmuNAND system, can I play CIA games without Gateway card inserted?
If I can pull out the Gateway card, when should I pull it out??

The reason I asked is that I entered the Gateway mode using my friend's Cubic Ninja on Sky3DS card and I don't want to buy Sky3DS recently.

p.s. Two months ago, there was a similar thread on GBATemp (https://gbatemp.net/threads/install-cia-files-with-gateway-and-play-without.378461/#post-5275672).
But I guess the firmware of new 3DS LL may bring different consequences, so I ask this question.

And by the way, the #9 of the thread mentioned above says the access to CIA games is DevMenu, which is on the Gateway card and without the card CIA games cannot be accessed. But I find a DevMenu of CIA format and install it by the DevMenu.3ds. Can it solve the problem? Well, maybe DevMenu.cia have to depend on DevMenu.3ds......

I'm eagerly looking forward to your replies. thx :)

--------------------------
The question is solved. Thanks to #2, #3, #4.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, everyone. I have a newly bought new 3DS LL(JAP, Ver. 9.1) and installed EmuNAND (9.1, too) on it. With the help of DevMenu I installed several CIA games and themes.
Now my question is:
When I am in EmuNAND system, can I play CIA games without Gateway card inserted?
If I can pull out the Gateway card, when should I pull it out??

The reason I asked is that I entered the Gateway mode using my friend's Cubic Ninja on Sky3DS card and I don't want to buy Sky3DS recently.

p.s. Two months ago, there was a similar thread on GBATemp (https://gbatemp.net/threads/install-cia-files-with-gateway-and-play-without.378461/#post-5275672).
But I guess the firmware of new 3DS LL may bring different consequences, so I ask this question.

And by the way, the #9 of the thread mentioned above says the access to CIA games is DevMenu, which is on the Gateway card and without the card CIA games cannot be accessed. But I find a DevMenu of CIA format and install it by the DevMenu.3ds. Can it solve the problem? Well, maybe DevMenu.cia have to depend on DevMenu.3ds......

I'm eagerly looking forward to your replies. thx :)

once you install all the CIA you want to emunand you can remove GW card

i dont think it even matter if you install devemn to emunand as cia i think even if you install them with the devmen.3ds it is still the same

once you boot into emunand you can remove the card, GW menu only does a check for the red card when you boot GW mode/emunand
and that is, once you boot GW mode onto emunand you can remove the card and your cia installed games will all still work

krikkit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you only neet the gateway card to boot into emunand, as soon as you see the home menu you can remove it... you can play any .cia without gameway card

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Only problem with that is if he reboots the n3DS. He will need his friend's copy of Cubic Ninja again to get back into Cubic Ninja. Using System Settings or booting certain games like Super Smash Bros will cause the n3DS to soft reset out of Gateway mode as well. Though you can avoid that with Super Smash Bros if you suspend that game and launch an applet like the web browser or shoulder activated camera instead of exiting it. Then you can exit SSB. Though I think SSB doesn't cause a soft reset with the n3DS like it does with the old 3DS because n3DS has more memory I believe so that's not something you have to worry about.

Otherwise you will have to leave your n3DS in sleep mode when your not using it for an infinite amount of time if you want to stay in Gateway mode and you won't be able to use Settings Menu at all. Because you lose Gateway mode the next time the n3DS has to reboot or power back up from being powered down.

So no, you can't run cias without using the Gateway card and it's associated entry point method. Currently available CFW also requires Cubic Ninja as well (even though CFW on n3DS won't allow you to boot CIAs anyways... ).

Unlike the classic 3DS, there is no "free" method of entry like with the spider exploit on old 3DS. The n3DS browser doesn't have an exploit right now, so you are stuck either using Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time for getting into Gateway mode. So borrowing a game for Gateway mode won't really be feasible for you. You'll need to eventually buy Cubic Ninja or a Sky3DS to put Cubic Ninja rom on. Though I recommend trying to get a legit copy of Cubic Ninja. Sky3DS is still way overpriced for what it is right now and unless Cubic Ninja is being scalped to prices close to or at what Sky3DS sells at, I don't see a reason why you should buy it given that you already own a Gateway.

Reactions: MattKimura

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
booting certain games like Super Smash Bros will cause the n3DS to soft reset out of Gateway mode as well.

not on the n3ds and even on the old 3ds, you just have to launch another application.

And for the OP only legits cias can be played without gateway once installed on the sysnand, but the only ones available for JP consoles are Tomodachi Life and Pokemon RO/SA.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only problem with that is if he reboots the n3DS. He will need his friend's copy of Cubic Ninja again to get back into Cubic Ninja. Using System Settings or booting certain games like Super Smash Bros will cause the n3DS to soft reset out of Gateway mode as well. Though you can avoid that with Super Smash Bros if you suspend that game and launch an applet like the web browser or shoulder activated camera instead of exiting it. Then you can exit SSB. Though I think SSB doesn't cause a soft reset with the n3DS like it does with the old 3DS because n3DS has more memory I believe so that's not something you have to worry about.

Otherwise you will have to leave your n3DS in sleep mode when your not using it for an infinite amount of time if you want to stay in Gateway mode and you won't be able to use Settings Menu at all. Because you lose Gateway mode the next time the n3DS has to reboot or power back up from being powered down.

So no, you can't run cias without using the Gateway card and it's associated entry point method. Currently available CFW also requires Cubic Ninja as well (even though CFW on n3DS won't allow you to boot CIAs anyways... ).

Unlike the classic 3DS, there is no "free" method of entry like with the spider exploit on old 3DS. The n3DS browser doesn't have an exploit right now, so you are stuck either using Cubic Ninja or Ocarina of Time for getting into Gateway mode. So borrowing a game for Gateway mode won't really be feasible for you. You'll need to eventually buy Cubic Ninja or a Sky3DS to put Cubic Ninja rom on. Though I recommend trying to get a legit copy of Cubic Ninja. Sky3DS is still way overpriced for what it is right now and unless Cubic Ninja is being scalped to prices close to or at what Sky3DS sells at, I don't see a reason why you should buy it given that you already own a Gateway.
Agree with everything especially in the OPs circumstance. I just want to point out to you some circumstances where a sky can be nice to have. I have 3 n3ds and 1 o3ds (2 kids). 3 copies of CN and 1 OOT.

Neither the explosion of CFWs out there and more likely to come all needing different CN saves to run having a sky with the different versions can be less expensive than a bunch of carts and less hassle than redoing the save files. In case it can also be about user experience for the kids. Games can be much more fun and a social experience when playing multiplayer and download play can be very limiting. I plan on setting up the sky with multiplayer games so if a friend doesn't have a particular game we can just pop in it his console and off they go with no risk to his console and no hassle of configuring it for a gateway.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
not on the n3ds and even on the old 3ds, you just have to launch another application.

And for the OP only legits cias can be played without gateway once installed on the sysnand, but the only ones available for JP consoles are Tomodachi Life and Pokemon RO/SA.

You didn't read my entire post. I did mention it doesn't impact the n3DS and on old 3DS I mentioned launching another app to close it instead of closing it directly. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.