Can I joke about autism if I have it

battlecatsahead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel l Ike I should be able to, right? but I don’t know if the fact that not everyone knows I have autism would mean that I shouldn’t just to make sure people don’t think I am a bad person

Solution
Can you joke about homophobia if you’re gay? Yes- but as Dinoh said, some people can’t take a joke.

Although to be fair- I do have autism, but I don’t take it well when an autistic person puts themself down for the soul reason that they’re autistic.
It is quite a bit of a more sensitive topic for autists in general, just check with them first.

A bit unrelated-
Something I’ve learned: don’t use autism as an excuse for doing a lot of bad things or whenever you screw something up- because 1. Don’t do that with any medical condition, it’s a shitty thing to do and 2. Some people r e a l l y don’t take that well

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you do that ? That's horrible things to say that if you think it is funny!

No, thats not cool. Even if it is not harmed or like @Floffewoffle said. Some still find it offensive and didnt receive jokes fairly well at all. Dont do it. That would be stupid and heartless things to do. 100 percent NOT RECOMMENED!

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of these people have never been to a comedy show, or watched a special.

Or go on the wallstreetbets subreddit, see how offensive words are (hint, they aren't).

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Can you joke about homophobia if you’re gay? Yes- but as Dinoh said, some people can’t take a joke.

Although to be fair- I do have autism, but I don’t take it well when an autistic person puts themself down for the soul reason that they’re autistic.
It is quite a bit of a more sensitive topic for autists in general, just check with them first.

A bit unrelated-
Something I’ve learned: don’t use autism as an excuse for doing a lot of bad things or whenever you screw something up- because 1. Don’t do that with any medical condition, it’s a shitty thing to do and 2. Some people r e a l l y don’t take that well

Solution

battlecatsahead

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Mama Looigi , yeah, there is someone that I know that also has autism in my class, and he uses it to get away with anything, he literally threatened to hit someone in the head with a hammer and to shoot them, and he got away, it wasn’t until he brought me into it, and at that point i just told the principle that I had autism too, and I wasn’t giving death threats, and he got suspended for like a month, which is not actually that long considering all the other things that he did, and didn’t get punished for.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, some people may not take jokes too well...but that's why there's different strokes for different folks, just like all of us on the autism spectrum who have varying levels of functionality. I'm lucky that I'm on the higher functioning end to the point that my classification is now officially known as "Autism" thanks to the DSM-V...when it should be Asperger's Syndrome. But eh, I've been able to hold down a job and haven't been fired from any yet, so I must be doing something right!

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As long as you let us know you've/re <put your "issue" here> before you start joking about it, I'd say it's "OK".

I'm a non medically diagnosed Asperger, but that's just me being me.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The issue with using 'autism' as a joke as it has just become a over-used catch-all term for people of a certain political leaning to describe anything they don't agree with. It has become pretty loaded even as a 'joke' because it tends to reveal a lot about that person's political views.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1