Hacking Can i install games on an external hard drive?

Erencikefe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My PS3's capacity is about 150 Gigabytes and i can't download much games inside on it. I'm thinking of using my external hdd to play games just like USB Loader in Wii, but i can't seem to find anything about this. First of all, could i run a game from a hdd? And second where should i put my games in hdd or do i need some kind of another setting?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can use jb folders as well, but I don't recall if that's fat32 only. iso files have greater compatibility, and you can use ntfs. convert jb folders to iso with makeps3iso from ps3 iso tools. make sure you're using the latest version. and, check the jb folder or iso with its ird: http://jonnysp.bplaced.net/ if the only thing that's missing is the update pup, then you're good. you don't need the update pup. you can mass delete them with the ripping tool from ps3 tools or searching for them in windows. by default, the ripping tool deletes the updates in all folder games, then you can delete other languages and what not, but that will mess with the ird, and there's a possibility the game won't load. files are replaced with 0KB versions with the same name in case there's a check, but like I said, the ird will tell you the files are missing, so I wouldn't do it even if the game works that way.

Reactions: adonios77

adonios77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So, is there any way to play ps3 games (directly) from external disk ? (I'm on CFW)
I don't mind what way but a way that actually works
and (it's important) to supporting games that includes files bigger that 4GB. ('splited' files support)
I don't mind if its ntfs or fat. I don't mind if its iso or 'jb'.

I tried some ways but, until now, always ended with not even show the game, maybe due to 'incompatibility' between ntfs/iso/fat/'jb'/mmCM/webMAN/IrisMan. No luck due to there's no complete guide, drives me to dead end.

jkm81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if in fat32 create a folder name GAMEZ in the root of the usb hdd, inside put your folder games each game needs its id as its name. like this- F:\GAMEZ\BCES01435. i use multiman to load my backups. for better speed connect your external device to the far right usb port

For Ntfs you need a cfw or app that support ntfs format, in the root you create a PS3ISO folder and you put your iso in there, you go to the menu of your loader; in my case mm and enable ntfs drives, refresh game list and your games should appear,

Last edited by jkm81,
Reactions: adonios77

adonios77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
if in fat32 create a folder name GAMEZ in the root of the usb hdd, inside put your folder games each game needs its id as its name. like this- F:\GAMEZ\BCES01435. i use multiman to load my backups.
Thanks a lot! I will try it now.
On this 'Fat32 way' you suggest, Is there support for files are bigger than 4GB, even with like a 'splitted" files way or any other?

jkm81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Ntfs you need a cfw or app that support ntfs format, in the root you create a PS3ISO folder and you put your iso in there, you go to the menu of your loader; in my case mm and enable ntfs drives, refresh game list and your games should appear. i dont remember if the gamesneed thier id as thier names or it can be whatever.by the way, i have cfw so i dont know if hen process is the same.

Last edited by jkm81,

adonios77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I choose NTFS disk format to install and load games from external disk(usb), because there is no 4GB limitation like FAT. This is means there is no compatibility problem if a game includes file(s) of which size is over 4GB.
Informatively: for FAT there are tools that splits 'oversized' files (like *.iso1 , *iso2 ... etc.).
Also, it can read any usb HD/stick, without 'special formatting',
as long as you make a folder with the correct name in capitals inside and start pasting games in it (eg. F:\PS3ISO\).

Recommendations:
* Note that you need to install an app (.pkg) to be allowed to read NTFS, aka, to be allowed to install (.pkg) apps you must have installed CFW before. This needs further explanation, but I will probably explain it another time.
For now, you should look for guides to install CFW (after firstly learning to backup!).

Installing games in EXTERNAL USB disk:
* The USB Disk I used is a very old and much used Seagate 300GB with its own power supply, divided into 2 partitions (ntfs/fat) and already included A LOT various things saved in it. Nevertheless, I used the disk as it was, and the game ran normally without any sticking.
1) After I created an ISO with "PS3_ISO_TOOLS_V1.98",
3 files created:​
* GRID Autosport [BLUS31452].iso​
* GRID Autosport [BLUS31452].NPG​
* GRID Autosport [BLUS31452].SFO​
* Can be done also with 'makeps3iso' from ps3 iso tools, or any other tool.
2) I Placed (copied) those 3 files to (ntfs) external usb disk whithin 'PS3ISO' folder. (eg. F:\PS3ISO\* ) .
3) I Pluged the USB disk (always!) in the SECOND (right-hand) PS3 USB port.
4) Through mmCM(multiman), I clicked on game icon, and this was drive me back in the default XMB menu. (I think that was mount the game because I can see the game icon now on XMB game menu.)
5) From XMB game menu, I was able to click on the game icon and (at last) start the game. (?)
6) The console asked me for game update, so, I let it done. (was about 40MB)
7) The console asked me to "The game will now install required game data to the system storage." (the only allowed option is OK)
8) I pressed OK and I take the message : "The game data is corrupted. The game will close. You must delete the game data to play this game."
"Title [GRID Autosport Installed Content]" (the only allowed option is OK)

Trying to fix 'step 8' error:
In XMB menu > Game > Geme Data Utility >
was two 'GRID Autosport' files:
- GRID Autosport (40MB, ver:1.03) (the game update)​
- GRID Autosport Installed Content (79KB) (the game Data)​

From this point, I cannot make it work even if delete 'game Data' or 'game update' or both.
I'm always taking the same error (step 8) either if I restart before use mmMC, WebMAN, IrisMAN, (all apps are able to show the game icon but ends with the same error).

EDIT: 'Step 8' error SOLVED by making "chkdsk F: /f /r /x" (windows 'check disk').
I noticed that I couldn't open or delete the PS3ISO even on PC or on different 'managers-edditors' on PS3 and this was drive me to do a 'chkdsk' for corupted files or parts on disk. Indeed chkdsk reported and fixed those errors.
Maybe, a reinstall with IrisMan will help to fix too.

(!) Notice that making an .iso from PC (with like "PS3_ISO_TOOLS") it's much faster, but,
making an .iso from PS3 (with like IrisMan) it's more debugable if there are corrupted files.

I will try in the future to make this post more explanatory to help other users as there is not a complete guide and it was difficult for me to gather scattered information here and there.

Last edited by adonios77,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) After I created an ISO with "PS3_ISO_TOOLS_V1.98",
3 files created:
- GRID Autosport [BLUS31452].iso
- GRID Autosport [BLUS31452].NPG
- GRID Autosport [BLUS31452].SFO

2) I Placed (copied) those 3 files in (ntfs) external usb disk (F:\PS3ISO\*) .
3) I Plaged the USB disk in the SECOND (right-hand) PS3 USB slot.
4) Through mmCM, I clicked on game icon, and this was drive me back in the default XMB menu. (I think that was mount the game because I can see the game icon now on XMB game menu.)
5) From XMB game menu, I was able to click on the game icon and (at last) start the game. (?)
6) The console asked me for game update, so, I let it done. (was about 40MB)
7) The console asked me to "The game will now install required game data to the system storage." (the only allowed option is OK)
8) I pressed OK and I take the message : "The game data is corrupted. The game will close. You must delete the game data to play this game."
"Title [GRID Autosport Installed Content]" (the only allowed option is OK)

Trying to fix 'step 8' error:
In XMB menu > Game > Geme Data Utility >
was two 'GRID Autosport' files:
- GRID Autosport (40MB, ver:1.03) (the game update)
- GRID Autosport Installed Content (79KB) (the game Data)

From this point, I cannot make it work even if delete 'game Data' or 'game update' or both.
I'm always taking the same error (step 8) either if I restart before use mmMC, WebMAN, IrisMAN, (all apps are able to show the game icon but ends with the same error).
Check ird.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0