Hacking Can I install BootMii AND Preloader? Is there any point?

WizardOfOdd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I am running 4.0E, with cIOS 13. I have installed PreLoader (which was step 6 in the 'Ultimate Guide to System Menu 4.0 or something) and I was just investigating installing custom themes. I quite liked the Piracy one : http://wadder.net/wiki/index.php/Mym_Repository

Anyway, I read somewhere else that it was advisable to install PreLoader and BootMii before messing around with things. Do I install BootMii AS WELL as PreLoader though, because they seemed to do similar things. Wouldn't they clash if they were both installed? If I launch PreLoader by holding RESET as I boot, how would I load BootMii?

Thanks!

drSTRIFE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If you can install Bootmii on boot2, then it offers complete brick protection.

If not, then preloader will allow you to to boot into homebrew channel to access Bootmii which allows you to restore your NAND if you have it backed up. But this method doesn't provide full brick protection like boot2 bootmii does.

jackol13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if they would like clash and I don't know about preloader but bootmii needs to install to a sd card you put it in before wii is on a it loads bootmii menu. You can use your normal sd card and if you don't want to launch bootmii put in sd card after you turn wii on. If you want to use bootmii menu properly you need a gamecube controller or you can just use reset and eject buttons on wii to use bootmii
cool.gif

WizardOfOdd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah great, thanks. Is there anywhere I can read to learn about installing things on to different boot sections, like Boot2 you mentioned?

Cheers.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I find it better to have both installed.

Say you're messing around a lot with different themes (like I am
smile.gif
).
If this causes a banner brick, which happened to me recently it's much faster to recover using Preloader just install a working theme and your good to go.

If I would have restored my bootmii nand backup I would be back at almost factory settings and would have to reinstall everything.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WalkerOfTheDay said:
I find it better to have both installed.

Say you're messing around a lot with different themes (like I am
smile.gif
).
If this causes a banner brick, which happened to me recently it's much faster to recover using Preloader just install a working theme and your good to go.

If I would have restored my bootmii nand backup I would be back at almost factory settings and would have to reinstall everything.

You COULD just make a more recent NAND backup. You aren't limited to one nand backup from bootmii, and you don't have to only have a backup of almost factory settings. I suggest to make a new nand backup after anything you do when you get to a working state of what you want, back the nand.bin up to another folder on your pc, rinse and repeat. And if you ever want to do something that can potentially brick you, just make a nand backup immediately before you do it.

That being said, there should be no clash having both preloader and bootmii. Boot2 bootmii > Preloader as far as straight brick protection goes. If they're both installed then bootmii would come up first when you boot your Wii and when you have that boot to your system menu, preloader would load up. If you set it to autoboot and need to hold reset to access it for any reason that bootmii wouldn't suffice you should be able to just press reset to select loading the system menu from bootmii and just hold it down to get to preloader.

So basically to the OP's question, you CAN install both with no conflicts though as far as brick protection is concerned boot2 bootmii is enough itself for anything, but having preloader as well also has the bonus of enabling hacks and such. I suggest if you only have preloader at the moment but CAN install bootmii to boot2 then do it. If you only had boot2 bootmii without preloader, then preloader wouldn't really be necessary except for the hacks.

Edit:
"Ah great, thanks. Is there anywhere I can read to learn about installing things on to different boot sections, like Boot2 you mentioned?

Cheers."

Bootmii is the only thing that will touch any sort of boot sections and is just installed through the hackmii installer. Nothing else will touch that, and all that really installs is stuff on 2 blocks of the NAND that basically just has it read your sd card for specific files and runs them. That however is what makes bootmii more efficient at brick protection, as it doesn't rely on anything that you can really tamper with or possibly mess up whereas preloader just uses the IOS your system menu runs off of and moves the system menu somewhere else. So if you do mess with that IOS you can effectively kill preloader (along with your system menu) causing a full unrecoverable brick if you don't have bootmii installed to boot2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it