Hacking Can I install 4GB+ pkg files directly from Fat32 flashdrive ?

kinio_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi
Just like the title says i am looking for a way to install big pkg files without copying them to internal storage first ...
I know how to get PKG files i need, and I know how to split them to meet fat32 requirement, but then i don't like the idea of wasting hours on copying huge pkg's to internal HDD to install and delete them afterword.
is there another way about it? maybe some alternative to package manager that could work with splinted pkg files or some plugin to enable NTFS support directly in XMB?

ps. I know about FTP but I wont be using ftp that much, Ethernet port on my ps3 is damage and sending stuff over wifi is too slow :)

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't touched my ps3 in a long time, the way I did it was to format the usb to stick to NTFS. Then I would set multiman so it could read NTFS and transfer the file to the internal hdd. No splitting the file needed. Maybe somebody knows a better way.

Gary Hamilton

Trophies
XP
Country
I was able to just copy the pkg files to a usbdrive and install. But a friend couldnt. He tried a diffrent drive then it worked.

Edit: also fat32.

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can put them on and usb ntfs disk and install them using Irisman.

Make sure to prep the disk first using prepntfs.

kinio_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was able to just copy the pkg files to a usbdrive and install. But a friend couldnt. He tried a diffrent drive then it worked.

Edit: also fat32.

Installing pkg files from Fat32 usb drive is not a problem the problem is that files that i will like to install are big! bigger then maximum file size that you can put on fat32 drive. Files that i will like to install are easily exceeding 10GB in size and some of them are over 30GB ;)

kinio_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont. I install them using WebMAN MOD. :) Best program ever! Irishman isnt that bad. :)

ok lets forget about Irisman as it is not doing what i am looking for, Irisman is simply copying pkg file to internal hard drive and then you need to install your pkg from XMB. I am looking for a way to install big pkg files directly from usb to ps3 without need of copying the installation files to internal hdd first.

Also I am not interested in playing "ISO" games from external HDD, PKG games only ;)

Last edited by kinio_64,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok lets forget about Irisman as it is not doing what i am looking for, Irisman is simply copying pkg file to internal hard drive and then you need to install your pkg from XMB. I am looking for a way to install big pkg files directly from usb to ps3 without need of copying the installation files to internal hdd first.

Also I am not interested in playing "ISO" games from external HDD, PKG games only ;)

PKG games will eats up the storage space on PS4 HDD. So I prefer ISO on external HDD separately. :)

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Hi
Just like the title says i am looking for a way to install big pkg files without copying them to internal storage first ...
I know how to get PKG files i need, and I know how to split them to meet fat32 requirement, but then i don't like the idea of wasting hours on copying huge pkg's to internal HDD to install and delete them afterword.
is there another way about it? maybe some alternative to package manager that could work with splinted pkg files or some plugin to enable NTFS support directly in XMB?

ps. I know about FTP but I wont be using ftp that much, Ethernet port on my ps3 is damage and sending stuff over wifi is too slow :)

I install from NTSF drive using Irisman.
I use Irisman to Mount and Close. Then it appears in the pkg installer folder on the PS3 XMB. You can then Install from there.
No need to split files and/or copy to internal memory first before you install with this method.

You can press start once Irisman boots up. Then go to file manager. Locate your NTSF drive, find your pkg file and press circle, choose Mount and Close and thats it.
Then Install from XMB. It saves time and memory space.

Last edited by SG854,

kinio_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I install from NTSF drive using Irisman.
I use Irisman to Mount and Close. Then it appears in the pkg installer folder on the PS3 XMB. You can then Install from there.
No need to split files and/or copy to internal memory first before you install with this method.

You can press start once Irisman boots up. Then go to file manager. Locate your NTSF drive, find your pkg file and press circle, choose Mount and Close and thats it.
Then Install from XMB. It saves time and memory space.

This is some kind of MAGIC :D, it works and it don't work at the same time on my ps3. I can mount folder from NTFS partition and i can see files from mounted folder in package manager but then when i am trying to install something, my ps3 freezes. It dosnt crash or anything like that as i can see waves on xmb background moving but nothing else happening, it seems package manager alone crashes while accessing files from mounted folder... any workaround or fix for that?

Anyway thanks a lot for good tip :D

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
This is some kind of MAGIC :D, it works and it don't work at the same time on my ps3. I can mount folder from NTFS partition and i can see files from mounted folder in package manager but then when i am trying to install something, my ps3 freezes. It dosnt crash or anything like that as i can see waves on xmb background moving but nothing else happening, it seems package manager alone crashes while accessing files from mounted folder... any workaround or fix for that?

Anyway thanks a lot for good tip :D
It doesn't crash. It does that. You will have to be patient and wait. Even if it seems really long. I thought it crashed on me too then it finally installed.
Are you installing PS1 games? It does that for ps1.

For PS1 after you use the PKG installer on XMB, you can then find it in the PSN PKG section of the installer to install.
So you have to do it twice for PS1 games. It has that bubble icon the second install time, similar if you install it legit from PSN.
You don't need to do it twice for PS3 games though.

Last edited by SG854,

Lemon_

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
>format to NTFS
>load multiMAN
>enable PFS driver
>copy the .pkg to the internal HDD
>install via "Install Package Files"

wew

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
>format to NTFS
>load multiMAN
>enable PFS driver

wew
I tried multiman method but it didn't work for me. I couldn't read NTSF.
It would freeze on me. So I just use Irisman instead.

With your method you also need double space. One to copy to internal then again to install.
The OP is trying to find a way not to do that. To save time and space.

Last edited by SG854,

kinio_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
>format to NTFS
>load multiMAN
>enable PFS driver

wew

Is my English so rusty these days or the problem is elsewhere...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I tried multiman method but it didn't work for me. I couldn't read NTSF.
It would freeze on me. So I just use Irisman instead.

With your method you also need double space. One to copy to internal then again to install.
The OP is trying to find a way not to do that. To save time and space.

Multiman didn't work for me neither, now i am on Webman Mod + irisman combo, i need irisman only for it's file manager and nothing else... for some reason standalone file manager by Aldo crash on my ps3 :(

It doesn't crash. It does that. You will have to be patient and wait. Even if it seems really long. I thought it crashed on me too then it finally installed.
Are you installing PS1 games? It does that for ps1.

For PS1 after you use the PKG installer on XMB, you can then find it in the PSN PKG section of the installer to install.
So you have to do it twice for PS1 games. It has that bubble icon the second install time, similar if you install it legit from PSN.
You don't need to do it twice for PS3 games though.

No i am installing some PS3 stuff from certain psn stuff app , i haven't tried any psx/ps2 games yet. In my case package manager stops immediately after i am pressing X on selected pkg file, if everything is alright it should show me a screen with some basic package info and a progress bar but it dont do that, only thing i am getting is empty screen. small led on my external hdd don't indicate any activity as well

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Is my English so rusty these days or the problem is elsewhere...

Multiman didn't work for me neither, now i am on Webman Mod + irisman combo, i need irisman only for it's file manager and nothing else... for some reason standalone file manager by Aldo crash on my ps3 :(

No i am installing some PS3 stuff from certain psn stuff app , i haven't tried any psx/ps2 games yet. In my case package manager stops immediately after i am pressing X on selected pkg file, if everything is alright it should show me a screen with some basic package info and a progress bar but it dont do that, only thing i am getting is empty screen. small led on my external hdd don't indicate any activity as well

It's weird for me that Irisman freezes on me when I read fat32, so I have to use multiman for fat32.
I'm using a powered external. Don't know if its the specific brand of HDD with fat32 thats causing this freeze.

I dunno maybe its the specific brand of HDD, or maybe its the powered ones thats causing this? Are you using Powered External or Thumb Drive?
I'm using a 32gb Sandisk thumb drive and this crash has never happened to me. Maybe try a different drive. Or reformat your drive. You can probable clean your drive using the cmd before you format.

kinio_64

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's weird for me that Irisman freezes on me when I read fat32, so I have to use multiman for fat32.
I'm using a powered external. Don't know if its the specific brand of HDD with fat32 thats causing this freeze.

I dunno maybe its the specific brand of HDD, or maybe its the powered ones thats causing this? Are you using Powered External or Thumb Drive?
I'm using a 32gb Sandisk thumb drive and this crash has never happened to me. Maybe try a different drive. Or reformat your drive. You can probable clean your drive using the cmd before you format.

I am using 2.5' hdd that don't require any extra external power, to be more specific i had 500GB Verbatim external hdd that i have cannibalized for drive inside and used it to upgrade my 80GB PS3, now 500GB ( samsung spin point) drive is sitting inside of my PS3 and 80GB (Hitachi) is living inside Verbatim case. Movian and File manager build into irisman can access NTFS partition on my hdd no problem. it seams like i cant use trick with mounting folder from irisman for some reason

Now my ps3 developed another weird bug, when i am mounting games usind webman mod, they don't load completely! i can see the game mounted in BDdrive and the game animated icon but nither the background image and music and when i am trying to play the game my ps3 crash with black screen after short weavey animation. :D
To load the game properly i have to check for game update before running it, when ps3 goes back from game update screen then everything is working fine that is until i will load another title... this is getting absurd

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I am using 2.5' hdd that don't require any extra external power, to be more specific i had 500GB Verbatim external hdd that i have cannibalized for drive inside and used it to upgrade my 80GB PS3, now 500GB ( samsung spin point) drive is sitting inside of my PS3 and 80GB (Hitachi) is living inside Verbatim case. Movian and File manager build into irisman can access NTFS partition on my hdd no problem. it seams like i cant use trick with mounting folder from irisman for some reason

Now my ps3 developed another weird bug, when i am mounting games usind webman mod, they don't load completely! i can see the game mounted in BDdrive and the game animated icon but nither the background image and music and when i am trying to play the game my ps3 crash with black screen after short weavey animation. :D
To load the game properly i have to check for game update before running it, when ps3 goes back from game update screen then everything is working fine that is until i will load another title... this is getting absurd
I dunno.
The games you are trying to mount are in ISO format in the ps3iso folder?
Are you loading them off internal or external?

Im thinking maybe a Y cable will give it more power, it might be your external is not getting enough power.
Have you tried thumb drives?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16