Hacking Can i hack my PS3 Slim with the new 4.82 CFW method while having a Cobra ODE soldered to the console

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I asked about it in the discussion thread for this method, but thought I'll get more answers here.

So 3 years ago, I've installed the Cobra ODE on my PS3 slim console. I accidentally updated the console to version 4.63, and realized it's impossible to fix it unless I buy another part for the ODE or downgrade with a E3 flasher.
So I kept my ODE in PT(Pass-through) mode, never enabling my Cobra ODE ever again.
What i'm asking is....is it possible for me right now to use this new method in order to achieve CFW again? If not, what should I do?
I haven't updated my PS3 OFW since then, and i'm worried this method will brick my console.

Exide

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ofc you can update your console to 4.82 and then go for this tutorial
Ps3Xploit - Now Install CFW from 4.82 OFW : NOR/NAND Software Flash Writer + NOR Dumper Released

Last edited by Exide,

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
ofc you can update your console to 4.82 and then go for this tutorial
Ps3Xploit - Now Install CFW from 4.82 OFW : NOR/NAND Software Flash Writer + NOR Dumper Released

I'm still not 100% sure what are the risks while having a ODE, if there is any.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cobra ode team once wrote that if you really want to install the latest firmware you should downgrade the ode firmware to the version that first supported 4.55 (2.2 I think).
Then the update to 4.82 should succeed in PT mode and while the ODE is useless then for games that don't have an update (Requiring you to update the ODE firmware again and 2.3 is really unstable), you can now install 4.82/4.81 CFW directly if you have a compatible PS3 slim, so PT mode should work like without an ODE installed.
It also doesn't draw any power in that mode as you can see by the DS3 syncing with the PS3 directly after turning it on and not having to wait for the initial power draw of the ODE to end.
So I guess it can't be detected.

Last edited by Wuigi,

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
The cobra ode team once wrote that if you really want to install the latest firmware you should downgrade the ode firmware to the version that first supported 4.55 (2.2 I think).
Then the update to 4.82 should succeed in PT mode and while the ODE is useless then for games that don't have an update (Requiring you to update the ODE firmware again and 2.3 is really unstable), you can now install 4.82/4.81 CFW directly if you have a compatible PS3 slim, so PT mode should work like without an ODE installed.
It also doesn't draw any power in that mode as you can see by the DS3 syncing with the PS3 directly after turning it on and not having to wait for the initial power draw of the ODE to end.

I see. so i just need to keep the PT mode on and use the method with the web exploit.
Thanks!

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Alright. Here's my update on the matter(since there's a lot of threads about the method steps, i'll just cut everything short)

First, I formatted my USB flash drive AND my external HDD to the right format. then I put the 4.82 OFW update file in my usb, and ran it through my ps3. after that, deleted the update file and put the required file in the usb for the web exploit.
Opened up web browser on my ps3, tried the web exploit...success! a minute later the console shut down.
Powered on the console, and installed 4.82 FERROX(Cobra version) CFW with the same usb method.
Now my PS3 system firmware information shows my CFW name, so without hesitating I installed anything I need for games, homebrew and emulators.
First game I tested was Persona 5. worked like a charm.
Thanks a lot!! :D

Last edited by RedoLane,
Reactions: MicroNut99 and sj33

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn