Hacking can i hack my friends wiis and charging for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehritzinator

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ive done it for a few friends but do u think i should charge for it?
The people i do it for kno nothing about computers or hacking so they have no idea how to do it by themselves

Finishoff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Really its up to you. I take the advise given when loading up that banner bomb not to charge since its a free program and it is not supposed to be used commercially. I've hacked 3 three wiis for friends and I did not charge for anyone of them.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
I've done a few wii's for a couple friends of mine didn't charge anything, actually even threw in a free sd card, had a few oldies lying around.lol but for a Stranger, you could tell them about gbatemp or I think a $20 sounds good. Your Choice

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
thehritzinator said:
Ive done it for a few friends but do u think i should charge for it?
The people i do it for kno nothing about computers or hacking so they have no idea how to do it by themselves
No offense, but you should not be hacking anybodies wii except your own. Too many people who are not experienced enough think that they're cool because they know how to press a few buttons and plug in a hard drive. But too many times there are morons that make a grave mistake on a wii and end up having to pay for it.

You should not hack anyones wii unless you can fix it if it fucks up. There are only a few people that can do that... 1 being me. But I still dont charge, people donate to me.

Just look at the response for this one asshole who was charging $100 for HBC and bootmii and what happened to him. http://gbatemp.net/t222038-another-thief-o...-wild?&st=0
And that guy had no fucking clue about anything at all. He was a huge liability to himself and he was too stupid to know it.
while i agree with you i see no problem with him charging his friends if they're willing to pay a small amount if they really know nothing. however, i think its completely wrong when people are selling this service to random people.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never charged for a hack because really anyone with half a brain could do it if they put themselves to it and I don't wanna be considered a hacking business for random people, its like you do one of your friends wii then he goes and tells all his friends and now you constantly get messages from people you don't know definitely don't want that to happen to me.

Also I agree what DeadlyFoez said too dont hack anyone else wii unless your 100% sure if it Eff's up somewhere along the line you will be able to fix it otherwise you are responsible for it also make sure to go over all the risks of hacking to the person and show them how to use whatever homebrew they may be using to lower the chance of a huge mistake and dont go and give them apps like ATD, cIOS installers, WAD Manager and basically any other other app that when not used correctly could screw with something important.

lol sorry for such a long read.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe get them to buy you lunch or something.... It's a bit rude making money off other people's work.

The only time I have been paid for this stuff is when I was soldering in chips.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about friends here.... I wouldn't be charging them at all, even soldering a friends Wii. But thats just me I guess...

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Yeah if its friends, rather than monetary, it should be something like a few beers or the possibility of the favour being returned in future.

A

armand66

My opinion, but yeh, if you're charging mates money to flash their console, thats such a weasly move and says a lot about you as a person.

They're supposed to be your friends, you don't do that to friends, just cos they have less knowledge on how to do something than you.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done as little as installing the HBC to full Wii softmods, installed CFW on PSP's, made Free MCBoot sticks for PS2's and all that sort of thing for a number of friends. I haven't charged anyone, but that doesn't mean I think it's wrong to do so... As long as you are only charging for the work you do and not the software you give them.

I'm not in the habit of charging my friends for what I consider a favor. If anyone else were to ask I'd point them at a tutorial, and if they still wanted me to do it I might consider charging them $10 or something for the trouble, but I'm not about to put an ad on Craig's List or any such nonsense. I also think charging much more then that falls in to the realm of trying to sell work that doesn't belong to you (i.e. HBC, cIOS's, etc).

What I think most of the people here have a problem w/ is the slimy bastards who sell say a $20 8GB SD for $100 because it's got over 500 (emulated) games on it or $50 HDD's for $300 because it's got over $1000 dollars worth of pirated Wii games on it. Everyone has different views on piracy, but trying to make a profit selling pirated goods is just fucking wrong and pretty much makes one a dirt bag. Every time I see an ad for a $60 DSTT or R4 "w/ 60 games!!! Only a $1 a game!!" it makes me want to cave some douche bag's head in w/ a shovel.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
The only way I would get something in return is if they said they wanted to give me something. Like yesterday, my friend gave me a Dreamcast with games and stuff since I modded his Wii today. I didn't really ask, and honestly, I was expecting to do it for free. I mean, if it's a complete stranger, or someone you don't know that well, it would be fine, since you're doing a service that they asked you/wanted you to do. If they really care about not paying, they would do it on their own.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your comparison is a little drastic deadlyfoez, you don't need to really break the wii down to hack it. i've read enough and dealt with enough trusted software that i can reliably tell someone i can hack their wii with almost no risk. of course i would tell them there is a risk and they have to accept that risk for me to do anything.

then depending on the person i might ask for some money for my time. depends really on what i think of the person. most people should offer a few bucks to do so, i would. its good incentive to get it done. free stuff usually takes longer to complete and isn't as thorough. i hacked my moms, my aunts, my neighbors and my wifes cousins boyfriends wii. everyone gave me something in return, except for the wifes cousins boyfriend. they are poor and stupid. 3 kids and no job between the two of them. so its like a pity hack. plus he managed to brick a psp before.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
IMHO, if its a friend it should be free of charge, of course they can offer to give me whatever they like (heck my aunt gave me some cash to take my gf out to dinner, she didn't have to do that, but its impossible to not accept $$ from my family members, lol)

but if its a stranger, I would first tell whoever it is, that all I am doing for them they can do themselves for free after reading up how to do it (well, honestly I would just tell them to use NUSAD, but w/e). After that, if they still want me to mod their wii, they are going to have to pay me (no ones time is free
biggrin.gif
). TBH, I've only done that once with a Cdn gbatemp member who requested I do it (even after I & others tried to help him do it himself on these forums).

Sanoblue

The Fuzzy Blue Woof!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive hacked several friends and friends of friends for them. not charging a dime. thou they always seem to give me something. cooked me dinner... a bag of green
smile.gif
and one gave me a fifth of vodka...mmmmmm
yaywii.gif

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DeadlyFoez said:
A great example is, let's say you know how to change the oil in a car, and now all of a sudden you're claiming to be a mechanic. So now someone bring you their car and says that it's making a clunking noise in the front end and you're like "Oh yeah, i've forgotten something under the hood before. Maybe it's just a tool left behind". SO you say you can do it. The next day the owner comes to check up on his car and you've got the whole thing dissasembled and you have not the slightest clue of how to put it back together. Never mind that you couldn't even figure out the clunking noise. And now you owe the person a new car.

Trust me, this has happened so many times with wii's. Some tool thinks that they know what they're doing and they brick a wii because they really dont have a single clue of whats going on. There have been endless amounts of threads like this on this forum. They usually start with something like "PLEASE HELP QUICK", and end off with "My friend is going to be so pissed, but I dont want to give him my wii".

Plus, it's just wrong to put a price on something that soooooooooooo many other people have put in their effort to write the software without getting paid a dime.

Even when you donate to Team Twiizers, any money goes towards the costs for their servers and never into their pockets. Hell, even if it did go to their pockets then they truly have earned it and deserve it more than most anyone else in the wii scene.
Uh, this is completely irrelevant scenario to softmodding a wii. First of all, you don't need to take apart the wii. Second,If you've softmodded a wii before, you can probably do it again.

Sawman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If would be wrong to charge your friends especially best friends in my case I only have 2 that owns Wii because of me when I first soft mod my, but the only thing I charge is downloading games for them since there connection is just OK.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with DeadlyFoez, it's one thing to know a procedure to modify a console and it's a completely different thing to actually know why you are doing the steps you do to modify the console.

Keep reading these forums, take some computer science classes, develop basic homebrew applications then you will be a potential mechanic for the wii
wink.gif

A

armand66

@vash, this is my point on all this, if its a friend, it should be for free regardless, the idea of "take or ask for some money for my time".....pffft, if you know what you're doing modding a wii is hardly, HARDLY a time consuming problem lol.

In fact it is so easy to do the idea of you performing a service goes out the door to anyone who has any clue on what they're doing.

For a stranger, completely different and i'm sure many here charge on par with what modders charge too, but to friends yeh, its such an easy thing to do and takes next to no time, it would be a weasly thing to charge a mate for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.