Can i get more ram for a Mini Pc and make it host a game server?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by xdarkmario, Oct 3, 2015.

1. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    im looking for a way to host some game servers to the public and i see there are mini pc available out there. but the thing is that mini pc's have very small ram and server needs more then 2gb ram.
    i am well aware of pc upgrading (im a pc tec) but i was wondering if the mini pc's have a small limit of ram?

2. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    You can get 16gb in most of the the Intel NUC models.

Edit - Don't forget to look at the processor in these mini PC's too, a lot of these cheap ones you see simply wouldn't have the processing power.

An Intel NUC would be ideal as you can have 16gb of ram in them (32gb unofficially) you can get some pretty good Core i5 processors in some models and a 2.5" SATA bay for an SSD or Hard Drive.

Last edited by InsaneNutter, Oct 3, 2015 - Reason: More info
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Varies between mini PCs, some will come with soldered ram and consequently be bastard hard to upgrade, some will come with laptop ram and some will come with full size RAM. I do not want to say will not run into BIOS limits, especially if you drop down into the earlier core solo and core duo stuff, but if you are just going for 4 or 8 gigs you should be OK for most things.

Depending upon what you want it may be cheaper in terms of electricity to rent a server somewhere. Likewise not all game hosting is CPU or RAM bound and increasing amounts will also want a graphics card, to say nothing of drive speed times (though I suppose you can always put a SSD in).

4. xdarkmario
    OP

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    the soldered ram is what i am afraid of, my vision for the mini pc is to sit at my workplace and stay on all the time and host game servers only no playing them so i wouldent need much space or processor power, mainly ram. and some games in mind are old (SAMP and Gmod) so even then it shouldent be much trouble. but ill need some ram.