1. Ian095

Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You do it once honestly you play yourself. I don't think Nintendo ever give second chances and you mentioned you did indeed pirate games when you were younger which considering the switch came out 2017 and it was just under a year (if I even remember) sigpatches came into existence it wasn't actually that long ago and they had been handing bans out since day 1 involving running unofficial copies of games. Only real way to find out is to go online and hold your breath while doing it. In my opinion the big reason people get caught out unexpectedly is they go online then revert back to a previous NAND that has less error logs which flags up on Nintendos server that its been modified in some way. You don't have any backups though right so that possibility is unlikely. They're more likely to somehow know you ran a game illegitimately.

2. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Well in short; we dont know what Nintendo actually can tell telemetry-wise.
    Starting Homebrew requires to launch an application on the SD (in most cases) ... does that get logged anywhere at all. No idea.

While as noted it should be seen as low risk ... we just don't know what Nintendo sees, and more important on what they act.
    Your mileage can really vary compared to others.

From personal experience and that does include getting banned and superbanned on one Switch; dont even dump your own games to make them easily available to yourself. Also the other obvious things; dont install nsp / xci, do save edits, change profile pics to things that aren't default etc etc.

In short there are no guarantees. Be smart, readup and you should be able to get a lot done.
    If you want to do a lot more. Get two Switches ... one unpatched ... on which you do whatever you want. And a patched one ... on which you do everything by the book.

That really is the only real safe way I have found ;)

3. Alm

OP Alm Hero of Prophecy

United States
    I was pirating 3ds games... not switch. Also, its not about second chances when I haven't done anything to my switch yet.

4. RednaxelaNnamtra

RednaxelaNnamtra GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    There is btw also a discord from the atmosphere dev team (reswitched), where you should be able to get more accurate informations about topics like this.
    If you join it, keep in mind that the atmosphere team has a very strict no piracy policy, so while the dumping of games is accepted, for example for datamining, everything related to loading backups, even self created ones, leads to a fast ban from the discord. They are also not really fans of sxos, because the sxos team did things like stealing atmosphere code while ignoring the license (not even any credit is given, while they are legally obligated to share the modified code, which they don't) and the inclusion of brick code as a kind of drm protection.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  5. paulzheng

paulzheng GBAtemp Regular

China
    you should make a clean emunand to prevent be banned.

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    It's not like a couple generations ago, yea, you can get banned.

7. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just Dualboot bro. We are pretty advanced in the switch scene save yourself the time and headache and Dualboot.

But if you not trying to pirate why get CFW at all? Your saves can be backed up on Nintendo server with the exception of certain games and if you tinker with them they will ban you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  8. RednaxelaNnamtra

Germany
    There are other use cases for cfw than piracy, from system module like sys-clock to improve the performance, or modules for streaming the screen to the PC like sys-dvr, through homebrew like emulators, fun homebrew games and ports and media applications, to customisation like themes and romhax.
    Also some people like to have backups of saves offline available, to not depend on a cloud service, that will get shutdown one day. And save game modification will only get you banned in some games, like splatoon, and in my experience moving them between switches doesn't count as that.

Also unless you want to do things generally concidered dangerous and not recommended (like nsps or xci installation) , want to be 100% instead of maybe 99% safe, or want to have a lower firmware sysnand for exploits, you don't need to use dual boot , while using atmosphere.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    MythicalData likes this.
  9. Ian095

Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    If it was years ago you have nothing to worry about. They couldn't tell if games were pirated up to a certain firmware version on the 3DS.

My advice is boot up hekate and use emunand offline. I'd make a nand backup first just incase though as a fail safe or if you're extra paranoid about being banned.

Alm likes this.
  10. RednaxelaNnamtra

Germany
    While it's true, that Nintendo can now detect piracy, he said he was pirating on another console in the past, and doesn't want to do it on the switch, so why is everybody so focused on piracy?

11. Ian095

Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    OP didn't state it was on another console in their original message. Either way, their 3DS likely didn't flag anything up as it wasn't until a certain firmware version in 2017 (I think) that they made it so they could recognise unofficial copies. Still, using Homebrew isn't something Nintendo allows, therefore, the risk is being run by running it even if they don't intend to pirate.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 9:53 PM
  12. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

United States
    One word: YES.

13. RednaxelaNnamtra

Germany
    Isn't it still only a ban on the 3ds if you try to download games you don't own, not just playing them online?

14. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Emulators ftw (even though you can switchroot for most of em without worrying about a ban)

15. Ian095

Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    No idea never went online on my 3DS since installing custom firmware and even then I stopped playing mine as soon as the Switch came out and never really picked it back up. All I know is Nintendo couldn't detect people using illegitimate copies of a game unless people were stupid and played games weeks before release then a firmware released that apparently changed all that but I'm way too out of touch with it all.

16. nachuz

nachuz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Chile
    If you modded your switch on any shape or form, you can get banned
    The question you meant to ask is "Am I still avoiding a ban?"

17. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I thought Emummc was pretty safe as long as you dont mess up with the internet settings. I haven't experienced a issue

18. BaamAlex

BaamAlex (*(vu64 *)0x1FF81100)

Germany
    Nothing is safe on the switch dude ;)

19. Alm

OP Alm Hero of Prophecy

United States
    You're late, i got the answer I wanted.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Banned,