Can I get banned if I only used homebrew?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Homerchu, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Homerchu
    OP

Homerchu Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2015
    Jamaica
    I used the homebrew launcher a couple times and loaded up some programs, is that enough to receive the banhammer? Scared to open my 3DS.....

On a side note, how long is the ban?

2. whateverg1012

whateverg1012 Fringe Weaver

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Valhalla
    Maybe.

Forever.

I've been doing everything from homebrew to playing freeshop titles on my N3DS that I purchased a long time ago and it's still not banned so it's just if you're lucky or not.

3. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    No, you won't get banned.

Also. I believe the ban wave is over

4. DashAhead

DashAhead GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2016
    United States
    If any type of data indicating you used homebrew gets sent to Nintendo, I'm sure you could be flagged but that doesn't imply you would be banned. I've been using NTR, Homebrew, freeshop, etc. and wasn't banned so there's really no exact answer to whether or not you could be banned.

Bans can be 15 days or permanent, the recent one is likely (after being confirmed from multiple people) permanent.

5. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Nintendo won't know since the hombrew launcher you use (if you are on ofw) is used through the sound app or a game cart,which is what pops up on the currently playing on the friends list.When Nintendo says the ban code error is for unauthorized software,they mean titles that don't exist such as running the homebrew launcher app which pops up on the friends list if you are using cfw or other homebrew apps such as pksm and ntr.

6. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    The recent bans are most likely permanent.

We can't be 100% sure of anything, but a lot of people think it's related to the title ids you are running. Nintendo can get a hold of these in multiple different ways, by looking at the activity log, spotpass data, or your friend list if you have the option to share the game you're currently playing turned on.

If you are launching any homebrew from an installed CIA (basically off of the system menu), it most likely uses a Title ID that doesn't match any of the official ones, and Nintendo might ban you if they see that Title ID from any of the functions explained above. This would include the hblauncher_loader, FBI, Luma Updater, or BootNTR if you followed the popular 3ds.guide.

If you are using a game exploit, like ninjhax, they should only see the title id for the host game (i.e. Cubic Ninja). In this case, you are most likely safe, but like I said, we can't be 100% sure of anything with how random these bans have been.