Hacking Can I dump GBC cartridge save using EZ Flash Junior?

Pokfan1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi, I would like to ask if it is possible to backup an actual's cartridge save using EZ Flash Junior. (If there is a way using link cable)
Thank you

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I would like to ask if it is possible to backup an actual's cartridge save using EZ Flash Junior. (If there is a way using link cable)
Thank you
Yes, there is, actually. But not with the link cable.
The tool is called "gameboy audio dumper" and was made by our beloved @FIX94
You can find the tool here:
https://github.com/FIX94/gameboy-audio-dumper
you need a flashcard (I have tested this with the Everdrive GB and the EZ-Flash Junior), a PC and a 3.5mm audio cable to connect the gameboy to your PC.
You need to be a little carefull when pulling the cartridge out of the GBC, as to not press the reset button in the EZ-Flash Jr. cartridge, though.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

Pokfan1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes, there is, actually. But not with the link cable.
The tool is called "gameboy audio dumper" and was made by our beloved @FIX94
You can find the tool here:
https://github.com/FIX94/gameboy-audio-dumper
you need a flashcard (I have tested this with the Everdrive GB and the EZ-Flash Junior), a PC and a 3.5mm audio cable to connect the gameboy to your PC.
You need to be a little carefull when pulling the cartridge out of the GBC, as to not press the reset button in the EZ-Flash Jr. cartridge, though.
Wow, I didn't knew that there is such a tool, lol.
Can this be done with GBA SP? Because I haven't GBC :(
Edit: I forgot that GBA has no audio cable, but I don't know it may can be done with external mic recording

Last edited by Pokfan1,

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, I didn't knew that there is such a tool, lol.
Can this be done with GBA SP? Because I haven't GBC :(
Edit: I forgot that GBA has no audio cable, but I don't know it may can be done with external mic recording
No, this will not work with a GBA SP, nor will it work with a regular GBA. The issue is not the missing audio jack on the SP (adapters can be purchased for a few dollars) but the way the GBA handles backwards compatibility. The GBA will gladly remove the GBC flashcard while running, but it will reset when pluging in a new game because physical switch inside the GBAs cartridge slot gets pushed.

Other than the GBC, you could also use a Gameboy Pocket because that doesn't block the cartridge port (i have tested dumping a card using the GBP just now and it worked, allthough it was trickier to get it to reliably work) or a regular old DMG gameboy if you were to (temporarily) remove the power switch that's blocking the cartrdige from being pulled. I do not know if this would handle dumping contents from a GBC-only cartridge, though.

Pokfan1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No, this will not work with a GBA SP, nor will it work with a regular GBA. The issue is not the missing audio jack on the SP (adapters can be purchased for a few dollars) but the way the GBA handles backwards compatibility. The GBA will gladly remove the GBC flashcard while running, but it will reset when pluging in a new game because physical switch inside the GBAs cartridge slot gets pushed.

Other than the GBC, you could also use a Gameboy Pocket because that doesn't block the cartridge port (i have tested dumping a card using the GBP just now and it worked, allthough it was trickier to get it to reliably work) or a regular old DMG gameboy if you were to (temporarily) remove the power switch that's blocking the cartrdige from being pulled. I do not know if this would handle dumping contents from a GBC-only cartridge, though.
Ahh yes I understand. Keep in mind that it is easy for me to disassembly the GBA SP and leave only the circuit. But I guess the physical switch is inside the card reading part right?
Thank you for your information.

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ahh yes I understand. Keep in mind that it is easy for me to disassembly the GBA SP and leave only the circuit. But I guess the physical switch is inside the card reading part right?
Thank you for your information.
Well, it's part of the cartridge slot but visible (and accessible) from the outside - but you can't just remove it separately. It is used to tell the gba whether to boot the gba arm CPU or use the gbc z80. It also switches the voltage from 3.3V for GBA carts to 5V for gbc cards. If you ever wondered why the gba cards have these grooves on the backside, this is part of the reason: these rails will avoid pushing the switch inside the slot, whereas gb and GBC titles will press down on this switch.

Pokfan1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well, it's part of the cartridge slot but visible (and accessible) from the outside - but you can't just remove it separately. It is used to tell the gba whether to boot the gba arm CPU or use the gbc z80. It also switches the voltage from 3.3V for GBA carts to 5V for gbc cards. If you ever wondered why the gba cards have these grooves on the backside, this is part of the reason: these rails will avoid pushing the switch inside the slot, whereas gb and GBC titles will press down on this switch.
Ah yes now I understand.

I will probably buy this and won't get the ez flash. I have already the games I want to play, I just wanted to get mytery gift pokemons on my cartridges so GBXCART-RW seems a better option.

Thank you both for your help!

Edit: can GBxCart RW write also another game to the cartridge?

Last edited by Pokfan1,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes now I understand.

I will probably buy this and won't get the ez flash. I have already the games I want to play, I just wanted to get mytery gift pokemons on my cartridges so GBXCART-RW seems a better option.

Thank you both for your help!

Edit: can GBxCart RW write also another game to the cartridge?

LOL Nope

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent