Can I Downgrade A System With Nand Files From Another System I Own?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Sasori, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Long story short, both of my capture cards are on 10.1(long story) but I have a system on 9.2 still with it's nand backed up. Is there a way that I can downgrade my other 2 systems? Maybe with a hard mod?

One is an XL and the other is a nonXL if that means anything(doubt it)

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    No

Zidapi likes this.
  3. Sasori
    OP

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    May I ask why? Not that I don't trust your answer. But I would like to learn the reasons as to why and what is preventing us from doing this.

4. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Every console has a unique signature, the nand is encrypted and signed with that signature, if the signature doesn't match it won't boot, plain and simple.

Sasori likes this.
  5. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    NAND is encrypted and unique to the device. It's the same reason we can't just upload NAND backups on the internet and downgrade with a hardmod.

Sasori likes this.
  6. Epultia
    This message by Epultia has been removed from public view by Veho, Sep 30, 2015.
    Sep 30, 2015
  7. Kafke

Kafke GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2009
    United States
    Does this also account for two consoles with linked NANDs? I did a system transfer of an emunand to a sysnand. So both 3DS systems are running the same NAND and have the same set of software. Just curious. Either way it wouldn't work for me, since one is an N3DS.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That doesn't change the encryption, the encryption key is burned into the CPU bootrom and can't be changed. It merely transfers over a few files to allow it to recognize encrypted SD card content, your eShop account and NNID.

It is theoretically possible to use a NAND backup from another console, but only as long as you have all the unique encryption keys of both consoles so that you can re-encrypt the files and the NAND image itself. Which would require both consoles to have been hacked at some point and the keys dumped, and no one's figured out exactly how to do it yet.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Sep 30, 2015
  9. Zidapi
    This message by Zidapi has been removed from public view by Veho, Sep 30, 2015, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Sep 30, 2015
  10. Sasori
    OP

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    I appreciate the help from both of you, and that you took the time to explain other then just saying "no."

I knew it wasn't possible a few months ago, but I wasn't sure if that status changed or what the exact reason was to why we couldn't. Over payday I will probably order another capture card, or sell one of mine here once I can get access to the BST.

11. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    You should be able to remove the capture cards and reinstall one into the exploitable console.

Sasori likes this.
  12. Sasori
    OP

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    If I can get Loopy or someone else that is trusted to do it for me then I'm all for it. However I can't solder for the life of me, so for me it would be easier to just sell and buy another. But depending on how busy Loopy is he may just allow me to exchange it since he gave me the last one for free :)

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    well if he is busy @hundshamer could probably do it :P

i would say check with loopy first though

Sasori likes this.
  14. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes ... if your aim is to have a bricked console :-)

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    i prefer the term.....extreme parental lock mode

Quantumcat and Sasori like this.
  16. Sasori
    OP

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    If he is up for it and if the price is right, then I don't mind sending it to him. I know he is on the trusted side of this, and have talked to him slightly about hard modding these capture cards as well. So it may work out for the best if he is interested and capable of a CC swap

17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i guess then you could get nand modded while your there, kill 2 birds an all that :P

actually depending on the capture card i know some use a weird replacement shell as they are fatter, if its one of those ones it would probably have to be matching style systems i.e XL and XL or normal and normal so the board can simply be swapped over

Last edited by gamesquest1, Sep 30, 2015
  18. DarkFlare69
    This message by DarkFlare69 has been removed from public view by Veho, Sep 30, 2015, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Sep 30, 2015