Can I downgrade a factory 3.4X/3.50 PS3 to 3.15?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Deniii, Mar 11, 2011.

Mar 11, 2011
  1. Deniii
    OP

Newcomer Deniii Member

United States
    I ordered a Gran Turismo Racing Pack PS3 but it hasn't arrived yet but I'm sure it will have, at least, firmware 3.41, 3,42 or 3.50.
    I've been googling for downgrade guides for days but I couldn't find what I wanted to know.
    Nobody actually explains if you can downgrade below the FW the comes with the system. It seems the lower people want to go is 3.41 so everyone settles with that.

Well, I want to install 3.15 to have Linux support.
    I know there are CFW and the fact that a lot of games don't run under 3.15 but I don't care so please, don't reply saying "install a CFW" or "what did you buy a PS3 for then?".

Like I said, all I need to know is if I can downgrade from a factory higher FW (3.41, 3,42, 3.50 or whatever FW the PS3 comes with) to a lower one (like 3.15).
    I know this can't be done on the PSP or it will brick but I don't know if the same happens on the PS3.

Thanks.

2. 2wirends

Newcomer 2wirends Advanced Member

United States
    I don't understand.

Are you asking that if you play Gran Turismo, which requires you to update to a newer firmware like say 3.60 - that you want to downgrade the firmware after you're done with the game?

I don't think anyone has really downgraded. Probably the only way of downgrading right now is to have hardware an knowhow to rewrite the NAND of your PS3. (I do not know how to do this).

As of this moment, there are no way to downgrade firmware (AFAIK). Once you upgrade firmware according to Sony, you can only install the same firmware (say you're on 3.55, you can only install 3.55) or higher firmware like 3.60.

For the linux support, you have to have specific models of the PS3 that supports Linux (old models, the PS3 PHATS). If you do, then you should probably install 3.55 CFW to boot into linux via AbestOS or some variation of homebrew linux that the PS3 scene is making.

If you have something like a PS3 SLIM, it doesn't have the hardware to support linux, so don't waste your time.

So question: what firmware are you on and what type of PS3 do you own?

TLDR: No. You cannot downgrade 3.4x to 3.15 easily. If you could, it'd take a lot of work and may brick your ps3. maybe this link will help? (http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-guides-tutorials/how-downgrade-ps3-using-infectus-mod-chip-100242.html)

3. Deniii
    OP

Newcomer Deniii Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't very specific. The thing is like this:
    1) I bought the GT Racing Pack but it still hasn't arrived so I don't know for sure what FW does it have but I reckon it'll have 3.41, 3.42 or 3.50
    2) Of course, it's the slim model (since GT5 was released a few months ago)
    3) I don't give a damn about the game GT5 nor about any other game. I don't intend to play games on the PS3.
    4) There are a lot of people using Jailbreak to downgrade from 3.50 and 3.42 to 3.41. I want to know if, instead of using Jailbreak to downgrade to 3.41, I can use it to downgrade to 3.15
    5) I don't want CFW on the system. The only thing I want is Linux running on OFW 3.15

So, can I downgrade to 3.15 if I have a factory higher FW like 3.50?

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Methods do exist to downgrade from 3.55 to 3.41 or lower, however every mention I've ever seen of it have always included a basic warning. If you try to downgrade to a version lower than what was on the PS3 at time of purchase, you will perma-brick the PS3. EDIT2: In your case, if you try and downgrade to 3.15 by any means, you will almost certainly perma-brick your PS3.

If your only goal is Linux/OtherOS, then consider CFW to install AsbestOS. Currently it's on v2.0.
    EDIT: I can't link the source to that quote because of forum policy, but a google search for "asbestos ps3" will turn up all the relavant pages anyway.

5. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Use the ps3 softmod sticky. You don't really need to downgrade.

6. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    You could take the HDD out (backup everything first though), format it, put it back in, then update to whatever firmware you want (there's even a guide on that in the manual, though it's meant for swapping to a larger HDD)

7. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    You do if you want to run Linux natively.

As of yet, even though AsbestOS and the like are works-in-progress and making good strides toward better performance and stuff, it's still very... user unfriendly to get up and running.

Only reason I can see why the OP would want to downgrade to 3.15 is to run Linux. Granted, the OtherOS that Sony gave us locks out GPU access, but at least it is a "just works" scenario.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    EDIT: To elaborate my complaint, your softmod sticky does not even mention "Linux", "OtherOS" or "AsbestOS", so your guide doesn't help.

9. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

I read the first post completely. BootOS 2.01 works with kmeaw 3.55.

10. Deniii
    OP

Newcomer Deniii Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply everyone.
    As codezer0 said, I'm only interested in running Linux, using the PS3 as a PC. I know the performance isn't great, but al least it works fine (by fine I mean you just install and then it boots and runs normally without needing any kind of tweak).

Now, Zorua suggests installing CFW and then BootOS 2.01
    Is this BootOS 2.01 user friendly and leaves the PS3 booting straight to Linux (like the OFW 3.15)?
    I don't really like the idea of installing a CFW but if it's the only way of having Linux, I'll have to do it.
    I don't have a PC so the only thing I want is to have at least, an enviroment to run some usefull apps (like notepad, OpenOffice, Calculator, Web Browser, etc).

Thanks.

11. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    The CFW way would be your only choice if you were running a slim, thanks to Sony's dickery.

On the other, BootOS does run an "unrestricted" Linux - it will be able to see the GPU now. Only reasons I hadn't really tried running it yet, are due to not knowing whether it is in any degree user friendly or not, and because I don't know if there is a stable driver to use with the RSX yet. If it's able to use the standard NVIDIA display driver for Linux though, that's actually a good thing... even in Linux, nvidia's drivers were always better for me.