Gaming Can I deliver into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 without playing the other two?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in the game, especially since I've only been into JRPGs for about a year. I don't really want to bring out my Wii U and pay $80 for the first two games, but I also don't want to be in the dark. What do you guys say?

EDIT: The title was supposed to say "dive" not "deliver" stupid auto correct.

Last edited by Nerdtendo,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Almost sure, perhaps it will have some minimal callbacks to the first one, for fans to recognize only, but I would bet it will be completely stand-alone.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup! The games are related like Final Fantasy. Somewhat similar themes but completely standalone experiences each time. You'll miss out on nothing in this game for not having played the previous two.
i dont know about that . . . titans on a water covered world . . . dont be surprised if you find out it actually has a connection to the first xenoblade (although you are technically correct xenoblade 1 & 2 had nothing to do with each other)

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It depends on what you consider casual and hardcore.
If you go by the previous Xenoblades, it will have a lot of gameplay mechanics in there and ability trees, etc.
Also based on the Direct from some minutes ago, I see they are adding some kind of ground elemental-coloring, made me remember of Chrono Cross.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i would have to say casual most of the battles are on auto pilot you don't even have to fight and it will auto attack. the battle system is what really sux about these games.
I don't know, I had to do plenty micro-management to best enemies 10+ levels above me, specially unique enemies, when I played with Melia as main.
And it felt good.

Reactions: Xzi and wormdood
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Cool beans, thanks guys. Does it mean more on the casual or hardcore side of JRPGs?
Definitely more "hardcore." It's not a pick-up-and-play game by any means. You'll find a very meaty game in here. Tons of interconnected gameplay systems, customization options, and strategizing. If you're a fan of all that, you'll probably enjoy Xenoblade!

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ashamed to say I haven't played the first after watching that newest Direct. Think I'll fire it up in Dolphin. Is it playable without motion controls?

I don't know, I had to do plenty micro-management to best enemies 10+ levels above me, specially unique enemies, when I played with Melia as main.
And it felt good.
This is what it looked like to me. You can do as little as you want or really challenge yourself and constantly micro-manage to do crazy anime shit all the time. The whole MMO feel while still having involved mechanics is really nice.

Last edited by Xzi,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ashamed to say I haven't played the first after watching that newest Direct. Think I'll fire it up in Dolphin. Is it playable without motion controls?
Works perfectly on Dolphin paired with an Xbox 360 controller.
The game didn't use motion controls and it supported the Pro Controller, so the best option is to use a similar controller on PC.

Reactions: Xzi

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It must be nice to have a computer that can run dolphin :/ My phone can run it better than my computer.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in the game, especially since I've only been into JRPGs for about a year. I don't really want to bring out my Wii U and pay $80 for the first two games, but I also don't want to be in the dark. What do you guys say?

EDIT: The title was supposed to say "dive" not "deliver" stupid auto correct.
Just pirate Xenoblade on Wii U Wii VC and Xenoblade X on Wii U

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup! The games are related like Final Fantasy. Somewhat similar themes but completely standalone experiences each time. You'll miss out on nothing in this game for not having played the previous two.

Exactly, Xenoblade Chronicles is clearly quickly becoming Nintendo's own Final Fantasy series, which is pretty great to see, especially when you consider that the first title almost didn't get localized in America.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, Xenoblade Chronicles is clearly quickly becoming Nintendo's own Final Fantasy series, which is pretty great to see, especially when you consider that the first title almost didn't get localized in America.

Yeah it seems that these companies from Japan are sometimes seeing more problems selling to EU/US markets then benefits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool