Hacking can i create my own directory structure with trucha ?

lou_weed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Hey guys.

I've noticed that house of the dead 2&3 returns works in a strange way (which no other game does) :
- The menu appears , with 2 options
- then when you choose a game , the console "reboots" (notice the leds on the remote, only happens when launching a channel/VC/Game)

Then I dug up the game's ISO , to see that there are 2 dol files in the ZExec directory , which probably launch the respective games...

i want to try to "inject" main.dol's instead of these dols , to see if they launch.
probably will start with a small game , but :
- how can i "create a directory" with trucha ?
- how can i add a file which wasnt on the original iso ?

thanks a lot !

p.s. do you think it could work ?

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Could actually work somehow, but i don't think that you can add files with trucha signer :S not 100% sure though.

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
You can add files and do a lot of other things with Trucha signer if you don't mind doing a lot of work.

Whats involved is creating a fst.bin that has the data you really want in it w.r.t. start locations and length. You can then load larger sized files in.

If you want to add files to the image then you have to change the apploader.img as well as do a two stage update to the fst.bin and you can then put whatever you want onto the disc.

Of course you need to know where the free space on the disc is for where you want to store the files.

You also have a problem in that the games themselves may have hard coded paths (most likely) and you will have to change the DOLs to account for that

lou_weed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
i fucked it up , patched hotd.iso and forgot that i deleted the rars for backups....

any standalone dol's (maybe homebrew ?) that i can check ?

edit : tried again , didnt work : after launching house of the dead 2 ( the dol i replaced..) i got a black screen.

maybe someone with expericence in editing fst.bin file can help me out ?
Maybe I'm wrong , but I think we can have a breakthrough here in joining 2 games together... i preety much believe that it launches the "dol" file that i replaced with the main.dol of the other game, i just need to patch the file structure (maybe delete some movies from house of the dead, and put the other game file's in the file structure..)

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
If you read back the disc you burned then you should get the 'original' back.

The main problem you will encounter is games tend to have the same filenames e.g. opening.bnr, in the root directory, you will also have dedicated paths.

However, not to be all negative
smile.gif
, a simple test would be to take the HoTD 2 DOL and copy it over the HoTD 3 DOL. When you boot then whichever choice you make should boot the HoTD 2 game (as all the files are already on the disc). To edit the FST then use the tool available on here and simply change the size and offset information for the smallest one to be the same as the largest DOL in the directory. This will get around the Trucha size limitation.

You may in fact be onto something.

(I managed to get an extra file onto a disc last week and was going to try putting a complete image onto a second disc i.e. a multi disc, at some point, all I was lacking was the loader). Merging two FSTs is relatively easy.

lou_weed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
i think that we'll need to merge 3 fst's
1 for each game (for a 2 - game disc)
and another one for the "loader" (when i'll figure out what are the minimum requirements to boot the loader - a.k.a title screen )

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Would it not be easyer to create a homebrew "loader" now with the wii hack & use the wii-spec tools to help build or devkitpro, would seem easyer (& legal might i add cause you will NOT be able to share this)

Think about it. It might be more trouble then its worth & in the end not do-able cause of some signature that is hardcoded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse