can I copy already burned games ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by air2004, Apr 29, 2010.

Apr 29, 2010
  1. air2004
    OP

Member air2004 Air

United States
    I wanna copy my burned games to my 500 gig drive , I am currently using WBFS Manager 3.0 to copy d/l games to the hard drive , but I like to be able to just copy the games I already have , and some way to d/l covers for the files ....I would like to be able to d/l the covers through the wii if its possible , please help if you can

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Make an image file using burning software of your disc.

I haven't softmodded my wii but I guess It reads iso files off the hdd? If not ignore what I said.

You can make an iso of your disc using burning programs like nero etc

http://www.imgburn.com/ download this "create image file from disc" once you download it.

3. newby1976

Member newby1976 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    like DeadlyFoez said, the app you use on your wii to play from usb can rip the disk direct to the harddrive and also download the cover direct from the internet

4. KennyLeam

Newcomer KennyLeam Member

United States
    Rip it with the usb loader. It will rip at 3x so for larger games expect long rips.

5. mathew1971

Newcomer mathew1971 Member

United Kingdom
    Use wii backup manager to add to hard drive - disc in pc drive and just transfer!!!

6. RC89

Member RC89 GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    mathew thats not possible, only the wii can read the discs when they are burned, it isnt a ps2 game you know.

He has to rip it using an usb loader.

7. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States

A standard DVD drive can't read an original wii game, because it's not a DVD, it's a "Wii Optical Disc".

It's the software (operating system) that has the problem opening it, because it doesn't understand the image format, but that doesn't mean it can't read the data.

You can also use any number of programs to rip it into an iso, they just can't get any files from it. That's why program like Wii Backup Manager can (at least partially) read the DVD, and put it on the drive.

If you're going to incorrectly tell someone they're wrong, at least don't be cocky about it.

8. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    wii optical discs (original dvds) can be read only using a particular drive on PC (LG something) wich is compatible with rawwerite (the only software that can dump wii games)

the problem is not due to the image format or files in it, it's encrypted, we all know that, but it's a matter of "disk physical layout" wich is different from a normal DVD.

infact, in a wii disc (differently from a DVD-ROM) sectors are placed so that a constant rotation speed is required for the disc to be read.

in normal DVDs the internal part is read at faster speed then the external one, becouse sectors are placed at the same distance from each other all across the entire dvd.

in the wii disc instead sectors are placed on a different distance (have different lenght) so that a constant speed is used to read both the internal part and the external one.

this concept is only valid for ORIGINAL wii discs, once an ISO has been dumped, and burned onto a DVD-R, this copy can be read with any dvd-rom drive for PC.

that's becouse the dvd burner can only write sectors in the standard dvd-rom format (equal sector distance)

this is also the reason why using dvd-r intensively on a wii optical drive can damage it, becouse it reads the dvd-rom in a format wich is not the one he's expecting, and even if it works (couse the standard is supported by the firmware) the mechanical parts are affected.

9. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    You know, I never thought about the whole CAV vs CLV argument for drive damage. So it would be the motor / mechanical parts taking the hit. That makes a lot more sense than the retarded "U KILL UR LAZER" argument.

10. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    lens are also affected becouse they are not calibrated to work with a variable speed (but this is just my supposition)

11. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    I love it when people read 3 words and then jump in just to look like a tard.

12. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    He's saying that you can't read a burned backup disc on a PC. We know this isn't true, only true of originals. It's generally faster than ripping via the Wii's drive, in fact.

And the lens itself won't wear. That's just silly. The only parts that could suffer wear are the actual mechanical components -- I doubt that any EE worth a shit would design a laser assembly that could damage itself. It's not like it's a class 4 laser anyway. But we're getting o/t here.

OP: Answer is yes.

13. elimist

Member elimist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is there any way to burn a disk that will work on a unsoftmodded wii like a original disk?

14. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Yes with a hardmodded wii

15. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Or a Nintendo Development Wii (I suspect)

16. elimist

United States
    I meant a way to make a disc that works on an untouched consumer wii straight from nin10doh. Isnt there some way to write to a disk like nin10 doh does and burn the bca with a normal laser (not the $1 keychain).

17. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    No... and why not just softmod it?

18. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Obviously he wants to give out games to his friends who are skeptical of softmodding.

19. elimist

United States
    exactly. I allready have a softmodded wii and I play games from usb.
    @person66 why do you say no? The bca is big enough to be seen, so whynot put the disc on a servo and point a lazar at it that is controlled by a microcontroller?

20. elimist

United States
    Does anyone know if the bca is the same for all games, or it is a cheksum, or a unique id or something else? Will it be possible to cut off the bca from one disc and glue it to another disk?