Gaming Can I connect a harddrive to the dvd sata port?

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My xbox 360's dvd drive is toast and I'm planning on rghing it. Can I use the dvd drive's sata and adapt it's power to install an internal 3.5 inch hdd?

Mateo87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unfortunatelly there is different than sata cable conection to dvd, so without soldering and exchanging cable can't be done ( at least in Jasper model) but after RGH and Dashboard Update 2.0.17349.0 (Released: April 30, 2015) there are over 2 TB limitation can be used, exchanging removeable 2,5" hdd to bigger is an option, also external disk conected to usb with same limitation 2TB can be helpfull.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you can solder in a 2TB hdd to one of the memory card points, but I've never attempted it. @Mateo87 is right on point about the 32GB limitation being lifted for the external hdd. it's now 2TB. however, I believe an rgh can do this regardless. I've always used a 2TB (2 of them in fact) on the 360 'til the first one died for many, many years (using a jtag). I'm not sure about the internal hdd, since I've always used a 1TB drive, but I believe you've always been able to use a 2TB with an rgh. this is also on a phat (falcon and a xenon in the past).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, you don't need a dvd drive in the system for an rgh. I know people have used the connection for bigger fans, because I think the dvd drive is 12V instead of 5V with the fan on phat 360s. you will get a blinking power light if no drive is detected. there's a patch for it as well as a way to solder it to where it doesn't do that. I think the system still works normally though, because I know I've turned on my system with the dvd drive detached. however, it's been years, so I might be misremembering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: uoiea