Can i change versions of ReiNand?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Jon O'Brien, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jon O'Brien
    OP

Jon O'Brien GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    I have ReiNand version 2.1 and I would like to know if I can update to ReiNand version 3.0 without haaving to remove my emunand and games.

2. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    Yes. Just replace the files. Don't forget to also get the new firmware.bin file.
    Your emunand will remain unaffected by this.

3. Jon O'Brien
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    What do you mean by 'new firmware file'? Do I have to get a new one and put it in?(pause)
    Why can't I keep the old one that I have?

4. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    it's not about the entire firmware of your 3ds system.. it's just a tiny file called firmware.bin that's part of reinand itself.
    for copyright reasons this file is not included in the zip archive, but there's a link to it at the reinand github main page

5. Jon O'Brien
    OP

Oct 27, 2015
    United States
    I know about the firmware.bin file. I want to know if i could keep the one I already have?

6. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    You can try. But it's been updated several times. So you might just need the latest version.
    You're updating the reinand files anyway, so why not that one as well.

7. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    You can always rename it or make a backup file, but no, the newest Reinand needs the newer firmware.bin file, or else you'll get a black screen.