Hacking Can I boot straight to Gateway mode with 3DS XL on 4.2?

RJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Getting very frustrated with the battery life on my 3DS in standby, but the steps to get it into gateway mode put me off powering it down all the time.

Is there a safe easy way to get it to boot straight to Gateway mode? It's a 3DS XL with 4.2 firmware.

The latest manual says something about menuhax but only talks about doing it from 9.2. And I'm not even sure if that is the best thing.

TIA!

IronClouds

GBAtemp's Pokébro
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, what's preventing you from powering it down aside from having to go through the steps to execute the exploit? Is it a convenience thing? Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, as I simply use the browser exploit to get into GW/Classic Mode.

wiiuser2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had the same setup but recently upgraded to 9.2
Then installed the menuhax to autoboot into Ctrbootmanager.
Here I created three options (Gateway (default option, autoboots the gw.3dsx in 4 seconds), Homebrew launcher and rxtools)

Result:autobooting into GW mode automatically unless I press some keys to do something else:
- I defined a key in the menuhax setup to boot into standard sysnand
- I can use one of the arrow keys to select another ctrboot option within the 4 seconds
- after starting gateway I can use the L button to access the gateway menu as before
Both menuhax and ctrbootmanager can be configured with personal backgrounds

Just do it. Believe me, you never want to go back to 4.2. I can 't think of any reason why to stay on 4.2.
Make a nand backup with Gateway anyway before upgrading so you always downgrade back to 4.2, just in case.

RJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had the same setup but recently upgraded to 9.2
Then installed the menuhax to autoboot into Ctrbootmanager.
Here I created three options (Gateway (default option, autoboots the gw.3dsx in 4 seconds), Homebrew launcher and rxtools)

Thanks for the reply, that sounds just like what I want to do. How did you upgrade to 9.2 safely without overshooting?

artur3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
with sysupdater as cia - it will install all system title cia's that are placed in sd:/updates/.
You need to go into rxTools Devmode to update your 3ds. and of course - a full 9.2.0-20 cia package

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quick update on my progress, had trouble getting 3DNUS to download 9.2 until I found out that it had been removed from Nintendo's servers, so had to get the full cia files from elsewhere. Then had to work out how to run sysupdater from the sysnand (some key combination in the gateway menu I didn't know about that runs gateway without emunand), then updated to 9.2 which was scary but went fine!

Then used the sliderhax browser exploit (was a little confused by what they meant by clicking the slider at first, because they suggest zooming in and of course the moment you do that it goes off the screen, it's in the top left for anyone who finds this thread and is equally confused) which worked first time, booted me to the homebrew launcher and then installed menuhax as in the gateway docs.

Then installed Ctrbootmanager but didn't realise it until I'd done it, I overwrote the boot.3dsx file with it, so I couldn't boot to the homebrew menu. Then I put back the one from the starter.zip but renamed it, and edited the ctrbootmanager config to set it as an option, at that point it started just booting into 9.2 sysnand and I seem to have lost my menuhax. So had to use the sliderhax exploit again (took a few goes to get it to work, as it kept crashing to the home screen).

I'll give the Ctrbootmanager another go later this week, but so far I'm pretty happy with the progress. Thank you again for the suggestions above!

I've managed to update to 9.2 and get it all going without losing my existing emunand which I'm happy about.

RJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I have this working, booting straight to Gateway 3DS, but every now and again it seems like the boot hack has vanished, and rather than booting to cfgbootmanager it boots straight to the NAND firmware, and I have to rehack (sometimes having to change the theme to stop the web browser hack failing and the browser quitting with an error).

Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

TIA

RJS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay now it doesn't seem to stick past a reboot anymore, I have to hack it everytime I turn it on. :( Anyone know why this might be happening?

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay now it doesn't seem to stick past a reboot anymore, I have to hack it everytime I turn it on. :( Anyone know why this might be happening?

Are you changing the theme through the home menu? Doing so removes the hack.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah that (and not realising I needed to run menuhax again) was the reason, thanks!

I'll do some googling about how to change themes without disabling menuhax.
Next time you set up he hack, choose configure option 2 and just tap the touch screen. That will let you auto boot. The way you did it requires you to hold the L trigger with every reboot when you change your theme and set up the hack again.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah that (and not realising I needed to run menuhax again) was the reason, thanks!

I'll do some googling about how to change themes without disabling menuhax.

Yeah, the Menuhax installer itself includes a way to change the theme. IIRC, CHMM2 includes a Menuhax mode that works without removing the exploit. Personally, I usually just set my sysNAND to the basic red theme in the menuhax installer and my emuNAND to whatever since it didn't need menuhax.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: