Homebrew Question Can I be banned for using sys-clk ?

a7mag3ddon

Trophies
XP
Country
Really! I’ve been using sys clock & editor for a longtime now and my online switch is still going strong.

You've just been lucky, any modifications to standard firmware could risk a ban, juat because it didnt happen yet...

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question was "can", and yeah, if you are online, Nintendo can one day identify you and take you out.

If you want to run *any* mods online regardless, the question instead is "will they?" Recent bans seem to be connected to either NSPs, traces of XCIs, save editing, or cheating online. So overclocking, Retroarch and the like is probably safe from now, but of course things can change at any point.

Keylogger

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
The question was "can", and yeah, if you are online, Nintendo can one day identify you and take you out.

If you want to run *any* mods online regardless, the question instead is "will they?" Recent bans seem to be connected to either NSPs, traces of XCIs, save editing, or cheating online. So overclocking, Retroarch and the like is probably safe from now, but of course things can change at any point.
I didn't use any homebrew and will never do on my SYSNAND.
Never installed anything, i didn't even run the hb menu applet.

I just use atmosphere and sys-clk in sysnand to underclock some games and save some battery time.

Last edited by Keylogger,
Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I just use atmosphere and sys-clk in sysnand to underclock some games and save some battery time.
Doesn't matter. ANY usage of software that isn't Nintendo approved = ban risk.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

It doesn't matter. You're booting into your Sysnand with Atmosphére, and custom modules, that's already a ban worth.
If you're not banned you are:
- Lucky

Will you get banned eventually?
- No one knows
- Probably

Reactions: spriteice

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you?
Yes, there’s always a chance, no matter what you do, even without CFW.

Will you?
Very unlikely. Atmosphere doesn’t really do anything funky that would significantly mess with telemetry logs in any way that would get you banned, they only get messed with if you misbehave (pirating, cheating online, etc).

I personally have been using AMS for almost 2 years, mostly online, and I’ve been using sysclk online since the day it released.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Can you?
Yes, there’s always a chance, no matter what you do, even without CFW.

Will you?
Very unlikely. Atmosphere doesn’t really do anything funky that would significantly mess with telemetry logs in any way that would get you banned, they only get messed with if you misbehave (pirating, cheating online, etc).

I personally have been using AMS for almost 2 years, mostly online, and I’ve been using sysclk online since the day it released.
Close to three years strong here, two of which have been since early CFW/Atmosphere's release; been mostly homebrewing but have otherwise not adjusted my WiFi usage so I'm almost always connected.
Not a thing happened since then. Can still play online, can still watch YT.
I want to think Nintendo really only cares for blatant usage of hacks, such as content overrides in multiplayer/online-enabled games or general cheating. They seem to have very little reason to do anything else otherwise, considering the primary sources for commonly cited ban reasons (.NSP usage for games you don't own, duplicate cartridges) are more or less automated anyways and is the actual source of lost income. Not to say it won't ever happen, but at this point, me and the others (however many that may be that speaks up about this) who 'use homebrew legitimately' can't just be simply lucky.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can I be banned if I only use atmosphere+sys-clk with my retail games on clean Sysnand ?
Probably. It's less likely though than if you were going online with pirated or homebrew NSPs installed, that's an almost guaranteed ban. You might get away with running just Atmosphere and some homebrew.

VinyLimaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, I've been using Atmosphere with custom sysmodules on sysnand for over 1 year. As long as you don't pirate and online save cheating, you will definitely be safe.

Atmosphere is extremely safe.
You should make a post with more details of your journey, it's curious that you still safe... I'm very curious to know your behavior and all things that you did with your switch... That will help the community, for sure

Zetman

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't connect the switch to internet while you are on atmosphere, that's the golden rule. I was using atmosphere since 2018 without getting a ban. I just forgot to cancel connection and started atmosphere once and I've been banned

Enlapse

Trophies
XP
Country
In my experience, which has been for about two years (perhaps) using sysNand with Atmosphere (without any piracy -not even emulation-) just to update my sysNand via official means (the switch updater), I haven't had any issues.

I did try sys-clk once, but that's all. So, in my opinion, as long as you don't do anything like piracy or cheating in any way, as others said, you'll be safe.

Reactions: thaikhoa

Zetman

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In my experience, which has been for about two years (perhaps) using sysNand with Atmosphere (without any piracy -not even emulation-) just to update my sysNand via official means (the switch updater), I haven't had any issues.

I did try sys-clk once, but that's all. So, in my opinion, as long as you don't do anything like piracy or cheating in any way, as others said, you'll be safe.
I could play my original games online on ofw too. Just once i connected the switch to internet on atmosphere without doing anything and I got the ban

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Still, if you use CFW, you always are at risk of getting banned. Live with the risk or don't use it. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: Zetman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night