Can I back up my Wii system software and licenses yet?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CZroe, Jun 19, 2008.

1. CZroe
    OP

Member CZroe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Damn graphical artifacts: Despite being aware of the problem for other people, I never noticed them until I compared SSBB on another Wii (well after my warranty was long-gone). To make things worse, this is the second Wii I've had to RMA (my launch-day unit stopped booting games and channels within 8hrs of unboxing). After waiting a month for my idiot brother to bring our Wii home from work and hanging on to a new Wii to swap drives with, the news hit yesterday that repaired Wiis were being returned with FW3.3. ARGH!

Is it possible yet to back up your NAND and licenses/keys? I know that it would be console-specific and I might not get the same Wii back, but I will mark the board with UV reactive ink to tell for sure.

I've spent an insane amount of money on VC games and even the Nintendo rep was blown away... after pulling up my MyNintendo account, he called his coworkers to look at the screen and spent two minutes going on and on about it! [​IMG] When push comes to shove, I'll take FW3.3 over firmware 3.2 with no VC games, but I sure don't want to lose my ability to boot Trucha-signed discs.

2. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
  3. gamidi

Newcomer gamidi Advanced Member

Greece
    I'm pretty sure that bushing and co will post the workaround for 3.3 they found until you get back your wii. If you still want to backup your nand you can use waninkoko's nand dumper to dump your nand. The bad thing is that you need an infectus to restore it.

4. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
  5. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have gfx artifacts when I play zelda:TP, but no other games so far. like black & white specks that randomly appear. It's not that bad...but I really should RMA it before the warranty runs out, in case it gets worse. Such a pain though, and I don't want to be without my wii for a week+ [​IMG]

6. gamidi

Newcomer gamidi Advanced Member

Greece
    Are you sure that he wants to have a homebrew channel installed before he sends his wii to nintendo?

7. StuMcBill

Newcomer StuMcBill Member

I think he is asking what I want to ask, is it possible to save your legitimate WiiWare / channels / VC games, format your Wii and re-copy them across to the Wii so they are recognised as legitimately purchased games on the Wii Shop Channel?

8. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    For the legitimate purchases you can download them from the shopping channel free of charge. why the hassle of backing up?

9. StuMcBill

Even if you totally format your Wii system memory?

10. zant

Member zant GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yeah. Ive formated a bunch of times, and I went back to the shop channel and redownloaded my games. No biggie really.

11. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey

Well I was not talking about formatting, Nintendo service will redirect your purchased titles to the new wii they give to you. I don't know what happens after formatting, reading below link it seems purchase history is deleted but this seems not logical since there should be a id of your specific machine and that should be used in the history of nintendo's shop servers so when you change machines the credit should be transferrable.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/w...elines.jsp#shop

12. StuMcBill

I must have misunderstood!

Sorry for Hi-Jacking your thread!

13. CZroe
    OP

Member CZroe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for the help/suggestions guys. Will this "Yet Another Wii Nand Dumper" be enough? I mean, if Nintendo sends me a different Wii (very likely; I doubt they just replace the GPU and ship it back), it will likely have a different set of keys and unique identifiers and they will likely have relicensed everything to the new Wii. I don't understand it fully, but wouldn't I need to re-sign my nand dump with the new Wii's keys? Wouldn't that also mean that I need to have the keys from my previous Wii and not just an encrypted NAND dump (either that or a DEcrypted dump)?

14. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I can comment on both situations since I've had to do both.

When I had to RMA my Wii for the graphic error (mine was with TP, it was snowing in Hyrule), I got a different Wii back. They transferred my Mii's (but I can't edit them, since they were created on a separate Wii), and they transfer Saves (back them up, just in case!) The Shop Channel will have your legit downloads available, so don't worry about that.

When you format your Wii's memory, it will delete all channels, save data, but not tickets, or your Wii System ID (used for the Shop Channel). You can still download your legit purchases.