Can I added wii/gamecube/wii u games on the same hardive?

FadeL2000gazal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I saw old post that says no, but I want to make sure because I am saving mony right now. Do I have to buy two hardrives with a smaller size, or buy one with a huge size?

I bought the wii u from 5 months but I didn’t use it until now. I am excited to do it but I am procrastinating due to this problem.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U games still require a dedicated drive. Also note that if you get a USB hard drive, it will need a y-splitter cable to draw power from two USB ports since the Wii U doesn't usually give enough power over a single port. So, it's probably not a good idea to get two hard drives unless you don't plan on using the USB ports for anything else.

If you go the flash or SSD route, be aware that the Wii U will write to them even when the system is in standby. If you don't have standby mode enabled it's not as much of an issue, but even Nintendo recommends against using those types of storage due to the limited write cycles and the way the Wii U OS constantly writes to them.

Another option is to put your Wii and GC games on the SD card. I don't know if there's a significant difference in terms of read speeds between Wii and Wii U, but I've had no problems running both Wii and GC games from SD on my Wii U. Even the games with streamed and audio and video seemed to work fine. But don't take my word for this as I'm sure there are some games that could still have problems.

Reactions: Alexander1970

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I saw old post that says no, but I want to make sure because I am saving mony right now. Do I have to buy two hardrives with a smaller size, or buy one with a huge size?

I bought the wii u from 5 months but I didn’t use it until now. I am excited to do it but I am procrastinating due to this problem.
With WiiVC you can. It's a bit more effort than using two drives (or drive + SD) but you can launch everything from the Wii U menu and use Wiimote/Classic Controller emulation with the gamepad.

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so sorry for hi jacking the thread but I have wii u games caved on a 1TB externally powered drive

how do I go about using this exact same drive for Vwii? I thought they both used a different file system on their external HDDs?

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
so sorry for hi jacking the thread but I have wii u games caved on a 1TB externally powered drive

how do I go about using this exact same drive for Vwii? I thought they both used a different file system on their external HDDs?
They do use different file systems and need different drives.

It is possible to create a WiiVC Injected game which will allow you to launch each game individually from the Wii U's main menu.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/

SyrusHedgie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You would have to format it again, a Wii formatted drive is called WBFS format. Or you can do the WBFS folder method without formatting the whole drive. Unless you do Wii Injects, it's not possible.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure about vwii games, but you can inject games using the seeprom to usb. the problem is that I don't know if the BaristaIconDataBase.dat is the indexer. there appears to be three bytes that determine at the least the cursor for each folder, so it could be multiple byte, and I think it saves the sorting of the games as well. I've run some tests on the file, but I don't know if that's correct. basically, it's best to reinstall the games instead of injection of the usb or seeing if that even works correctly. I know that they're indexed in several files including the versions.bin.

Psd99

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You would have to format it again, a Wii formatted drive is called WBFS format. Or you can do the WBFS folder method without formatting the whole drive. Unless you do Wii Injects, it's not possible.

I dont think formatting it again
Would be an option as i got nearly 400gb of data on the wii u drive

Perhaps using another drive would be better here
Would a decent sized pen drive work do u reckon?

Where would i set it up on the vwii?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii u doesn't like pen drives, so I'd advise against it. you plug the vwii drives into the back usb ports, wii u goes in the front.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Did you try the breakfast one they make?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    A good salmon Poké bowl with some cream cheese is decadent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's really not bad you just think of cold cream cheese
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    being lactose intolerant is a sin
    I dont like cream cheese. Thats why. Haha. The breakfast noodle cup sounds fantastic though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I beat grilled cream cheese would be top notch
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    @ZeroT21 tons of ingredients contains lactose more or less sadly. Makes them tummy aches and farts-o-lantern rocket launches
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My only gripe too many poppy seeds a cop may taze me
    "Start your day with Cup Noodles Breakfast! This limited time flavor blends ramen with your favorite breakfast flavors, including pancakes, maple syrup, sausage, and eggs."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If our Walmart has them yours probably does
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables...