Hacking Can Gc games be ported to 3ds? Like Twilight Princess?

Enigma Hall

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The scene is in early stages now but expeculations about a wii or gamecube emulator i belive are far from become true. But the big nintendo could port game cube games to 3ds in a early future?
Why your think about it? If you could play Twiligwt Princess and etc in your 3ds?

Do you bet in emulator or remake/port?

Reactions: djricekcn
D

Deleted User

Nintendo still has problems emulating gameboy advance games, don't get your hopes up.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ported? Of course they can be. In a watered down form with simplified models, sure, but they can.

Now, if we're talking emulation, that's a whole different story - the 3DS doesn't have anywhere near enough resources for that. Even high-end smartphones chug when running Dolphin and the 3DS can't compare to those specs-wise.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Capcom was able to make Resident Evil 5 to run on a 3ds in a week so they started from there to make Resident Evil Revelations ... Capcom always made amazingly beautiful games on Nintendo consoles ... RE1 remake and RE Zero on GC, RE4 on Wii, Revelations on 3ds ... I think nintendo could do it but will they?? I'd love to play Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and any metroid prime on my 3DS :D

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is coy about the specs, but I think that for the purposes of rendering in stereoscopic 240p, the GPU in the 3DS is probably pretty much in the ballpark of the Gamecube. In pure FLOPS though, the Gamecube GPU is probably up there with the fastest mobile GPUs on the market today.

So basically, in terms of setting up gamecube games in ways that actually are relevant to the screen you have on a 3DS, especially if the 3DS can ramp up the clock speed (which Nintendo should be able to enable if it is not enabled already), the 3DS should be able to render things that might actually look a bit better than the gamecube.

Of course, they are not going to emulate the GC, or probably not even the N64. They have to be ported. Even consoles with far superior GPU's, like the Wii or the PS3 can have their games ported, although the difference will be more obvious.

lonesome_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, They remade Ocarina of Time for the N64 on the 3DS and it's now where near gamecube quality. I really doubt they could make a GC game down to 3DS.

2nd of all, as soon as Super Smash Bros comes out who's gonna play any other game besides that?

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First of all, They remade Ocarina of Time for the N64 on the 3DS and it's now where near gamecube quality. I really doubt they could make a GC game down to 3DS.

2nd of all, as soon as Super Smash Bros comes out who's gonna play any other game besides that?

honestly, I'm one of these few minorities that don't like super smash bros. I will give it another chance though.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They did not remake Ocarina of Time, at least not the way people usually use the term remake. It seems like they tried to use as much of the code and the wireframes from the old game as possible. Other than a few changes to the gameplay, an upgrade to some of the models, and better textures, the game seems like an identical port of the N64 version.

It is basically an enhanced port, not a remake.

Based on what is know about the specs, the 3DS GPU, it is probably somewhere between the N64 and gamecube in total speed. Running at full clockspeed (not the power saving mode) it is probably a lot closer to the Gamecube GPU than the N64.

Compare a Resident Evil game for the 3DS to an N64 game.

They are both rendered in 240p, but you can tell that in the N64 version, the polygons are much larger than the pixels, whereas in the 3DS version, very few of the polygons are significantly larger than the pixels. Also, in the 2D version, you only get half the resolution, since the game is rendered twice in 3D mode, making it look smoother. Also, the 3DS clearly has a much larger buffer for the textures where the N64 textures looks blurry from even a distance.

Now look at the Gamecube remake:

Other than the obvous 2-D resolution differences, the Gamecube version does not look much better than the 3DS version.

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
N64 games are more than feasible, Pokemon X/Y has proven this, with much higher poly-counts and better rendering effects than N64 could of ever wished for. As for GameCube, hell fucking no.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, i don't think many people here understand what a game is.

A game is a piece of software mainly composed by 2 things a Game Engine and Assets

The game engine is a software designed to run the game assets on certain hardware
The Assets is the 3D or 2D models and graphics and the music.

A port is when you transform the game engine to run inside another hardware and the assets are redesigned to fit on the new resolution and sound playback capabilities.

So basically A playstation 4 game can be ported to NES, lol

Your real question is if we believe if nintendo is willing to port a gamecube game to 3DS, the answer is They will port the Game if the Game can make enough money to recover the inversion of the porting process.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
The Wii's processor was basically the same as the Gamecube's, just clocked much higher. When the Wii ran in Gamecube mode all it did was clock itself down and limit the memory to that of what the Gamecube had access of. Twilight Princess was the same exact game, it just had the Wiimote controls tacked on and all the assets reversed to match the right handedness of Link. Same logic applied to the Gameboy Advanced and the DS, and now with the DS and the 3DS, very similar hardware. So for them to port gamecube games to the 3ds it would require a total rework from the ground up, and not just a simple copy paste.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they ported mario 64 to the ds so i see no problem at all for 3ds to be technically capable of running GC ports ,id rather see them port WW than TP though

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
how about Luigi's Mansion 2? I played both Luigi's mansion and it looks as good on the 3ds than it did on the GC

RachelB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twilight Princess was the same exact game, it just had the Wiimote controls tacked on and all the assets reversed to match the right handedness of Link.
Not quite, there are other differences. Nothing you'd ever notice just playing the game, but differences nonetheless.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of these "HEY BUT WHAT ABOUT" questions are pointless, any game can be ported to the 3DS...will it be intact probably not but it's entirely possible that they can keep the essence of what made the game what it is. It's all kinda irrelevant anyway unless the developer would actually want to spend resources in porting a game to it in the first place.

how about Luigi's Mansion 2? I played both Luigi's mansion and it looks as good on the 3ds than it did on the GC

Just because one game looks good as the prequel on a previous console doesn't mean it can have a perfect port. The sequel was MADE for the 3DS, so the team catered it to what the 3DS can do, to it's hardware and all that. Porting a game over is just not that simple, hence why a lot of oldschool ports use emulation rather than building the game from the ground up. What the Gamecube can do in terms of lighting effects may be entirely different to how the 3DS would do it. It's the same the other way round, if you wanted to port the 3DS game to the Gamecube or even Wii it may still lose something in translation purely because it wasn't developed originally for those consoles. A prime example would be Metroid Prime 1 & 2 ports for the Wii, if you look closely many aspects of the graphics are actually inferior to the Gamecube versions, this isn't the fault of Retro Studios who ported it, they clearly know how to develop for the Wii (see Metroid Prime 3 & DKCR) they were just porting to a console that wasn't that much powerful. Also using Luigi's Mansion isn't really a good example of a Gamecube game, it still looks good and aged well but it is a launch title so wouldn't use the GC's power to it's fullest capability.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Not quite, there are other differences. Nothing you'd ever notice just playing the game, but differences nonetheless.
Things like different aspect ratio, and the ability to quick equip 4 items vs 2 items etc, the point I was originally trying to make still stands. Twilight Princess was originally developed for the Gamecube, but late in development they decided to quickly port it to the Wii. This was very simple for them, as the Wii as I already stated is basically an overclocked Gamecube, the code is already designed to run on the hardware. One of the most difficult thing for developing for various game systems is the differences in CPU architecture. There is significant differences between the PowerPC based CPUs that the GCN/WII/WIIU use vs the ARM based systems in the GBA/DS/3DS systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back