can gba flashcards play gbc games?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by UltraMagnus, May 20, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus
    OP

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    I feel like a bit of a noob asking this, but can a gba flashcard play gameboy games? (on a gba, not a ds lol)

thanks in advance!

2. Alphypo07

Alphypo07 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2009
    United States
  3. UltraMagnus
    OP

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    alas that wasn't really what I was hoping for. unfortunately emulators don't colourise games like pokemon. (if they did, I could just use my DS...)

4. Rigo

Rigo Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2009
    Gambia, The
    In this video the guy says that you don't need any patching software or emulator for gameboy color roms. He uses a Supercard, I don't know it is different in other cards. But it could be that he isn't right, i don't know...

5. IceRentoraa29

IceRentoraa29 Don't get in between a kid and his ice cream cone.

Aug 10, 2007
    United States
    The Land of Wuz AKA: Kuromi
    The Supercard has a built in older version of Goomba, that's why.

6. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Only way to do that is with a dedicated GBC flash cart that runs in GBC mode. The colorization is applied directly by the GBC BIOS, which cannot be dumped, and you can't load files from a GBA flash cart once in GBC mode due to voltage differences.

Or if you can find it, the F2A and GB Bridge might work. I'm not positive though.

7. UltraMagnus
    OP

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    well, that is a pain. thank you though, it does clear things up.

I doubt they even still make gbc flash carts. but if I am going to have to find one second hand, would anyone happen to know if they ever made gbc flashcarts in gba cart size? (so it doesn't stick out of a gba)

thanks in advance

8. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Haven't heard of anything like that, no. As for suppliers, check out Rob Webb's store, as they've got a couple GBC flash carts usually.