Can dsiware games be used on a ds flashcard?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TherealDarknes, Dec 26, 2016.

1. TherealDarknes
    OP

TherealDarknes GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    This may be a stupid question but can a dsiware game be played on a flashcard the specific one i have is a ds two plus (3ds mode never used) i haven't seen anyone ask this and when i try googling it i just get a bunch of junk about downgrading your 3ds using dsi ware i just want to play the games using my flash card

2. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

Nov 15, 2014
    France
    Albi
    I don't guess.
    I already tried to play Zelda4S Anniversary (nds dump from the cia) on my R4 3DS RTS, but all I have is a white screen...

3. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    No. Besides one old and unsupported flashcard, DS flashcarts run in DS mode, not DSi mode. In addition, the DSiWare expects to be installed to NAND, not on a cart.

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    dsi ware (thoose that are downloadable from the shop) you can get them and play them on a 3ds with cfw

dsi games, will run in DS mode in a flashcart, the only cart that supports games in DSI enhanced mode is the cyclo dsi, which is blocked in the 3ds, but i think you can install a old version of the blacklist to make it work on the 3ds
    but you don't require it to play most games, for example pokemon 5 gen games

5. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    so my ds two dose not run in dsi mode? dammit that thing really is shit isn't it

6. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    No, it's not shit, just DSi cards are a lot harder than DS ones...

7. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    yes but dstwos cost the most out of all the ds flash cards i would have thought it would use dsi mode frankly what i have found is that the dstwo is an over priced little pile of garbage hell even nes emulation is poor on that thing and thats just sad

8. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    DS Flashcarts only run on DS mode. It cannot run any "DSiWare" games but it can run DSi games. Ex: gen 5 Pokemon games. DSiWare games I believe can be dumped into .NDS files but if it doesn't have the specific features that the DSi exclusively has then it won't run it. Thats why you can't open your camera in the gen 5 Pokemon games when its running on a R4. It only runs on DS mode, not DSi mode.

9. lincruste

lincruste GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2008
    Antarctica
    france
    It was much better bang for the bucks back in the days when it first became available. The other DS linkers were ok, especially names like CycloDS or M3, but SCDS2 had it's inner MIPS CPU and plug-in system which made it very interesting. It was poorly supported however, it's often the case with proprietary technology. Except Patrick Aalto's DS2x86 and a few frame-skipping emulators, it was quickly forgotten.
    I agree it's a complete non-sense to buy one today, but I'm still glad I have one after many, many shitty linkers (DS-Xtreme anyone ?)

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Quick history lesson for some context. There was only one cart that supported DSi-Mode and that was the iEvolution from Cyclops. The issue was, they basically dropped off the planet after releasing the cart and never released the source nor anything else for the cart.
    Since then, there's been no other flashcart to work in DSi-Mode. Because by the time DSi-Mode really started to become a thing, the 3DS was released and focus moved from hacking the DSi (which wasn't that popular to being with) to focusing on the 3DS.

So basically because focus died on the DSi, no other flashcart was made for it and that's why you can't load a DSiWare game from a flashcart. Because no one was interested enough to back up where Cyclops left off and make such a thing happen.

11. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Wrong. The CycloDS iEvolution, the only flashcard that supports dsi ware games, costs more than the dstwo. But there are only a few proper DSi ware dumps that can be played with the card (although pussycat made some new dumps this year which work with it, too).

I like the DS-Xtreme :P It has a "character" which many "modern" cards lack (so many exclusive or almost exclusive features and almost no features every modern card has).

12. TherealDarknes
    OP

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    the CycloDS IEvolution looks like an amazing upgrade from a dstwo if only they would update the stupid thing to work on 3ds or hell support it at all from what i can tell

oh and might i point out that even nes emulation is bad on the dstwo i know i said this already but i can't get over how stupid this is

Last edited by TherealDarknes, Dec 27, 2016