• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can Donald Trump become President Again?

kenlee168

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Put his antic aside, he is the only President that really mind what people want the most and push the limit to produce result even with strong opposition from even his own party.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We are in a democracy, and the majority did vote him in. I don't know what's so difficult for your brain to comprehend this?
Dude... Are you purposefully trolling? How many people have to tell you the same thing before you accept something, let alone pretend the other one is stupid for not hearing what they say?

To go technical : there are hardly (no?) countries with a direct democracy, but USA is, like most, a represented democracy: the people decide whom should represent their interest.

What you mock as 'being even more fucked' is actually how most of not all other (representative) democracies work : you choose whom you want to be lead by. Majority wins.
The us doesn't work that way. Heck... Technically the people haven't picked a single president in their entire history. Because as far as I understand, it stems from before or was technically possible to really hold elections in a country that big. But states hold their own elections, and the majority of that vote gets you a representative that'll pick the president. And the weight of that representative roughly depends on the population of the state.

I've heard that the 'roughly' is somewhat an issue to have changed (eg: state A has increased its population whilst B decreased. How is it taken into calculation?), but by far its the first part the post system that can cause huge swings between what the most people voted for and the resulting president. Especially since voting isn't obligated.

Let's pretend the us consists of two states with few citizens :
A has 100 citizens and therefore a representative worth 100.
B has 50 citizens and a representative worth 50

In the election, candidate X gets 21 votes from A and 3 from B. Total: 24 votes
Y gets 15 votes from A and 19 from B. Total : 34 votes

Most democracies would use that system to say Y had won. But the US doesn't. Their reasoning is that X won in A and got 100 points, and Y won in B so got 50 points. 100 > 50 so X wins.

I'm not in a position to claim its an outdated system and i frankly don't care that you're a fan of the system. But would you please shut up about repeating that 'he got the majority' bullshit? It's factually wrong.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
Donald Trump has never won the popular vote in a presidential election. Not in 2016, and not in 2020.
No he didn't win the popular vote, but the popular vote isn't what gets you elected. I don't know why your side is stuck focusing on a number that doesn't decide who wins or who loses.

Regardless of how you feel about the capitol riots, the protests themselves were against democracy and free/fair elections.

Edit: It would be a mistake for me to ignore that Donald Trump also relished in the violence and initially responded to pleas to call off the violence by praising the violent protesters and condemning those making the pleas as not caring as much about America as those violently storming the Capitol.

Would you mind providing me with proof of this? I've never to this date heard of Trump doing that. The only thing I've read were his tweets telling the rioters to stop and go home.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donald Trump has never won the popular vote in a presidential election. Not in 2016, and not in 2020.
And yet he still became president, so in a sense, he was popular
Dude... Are you purposefully trolling? How many people have to tell you the same thing before you accept something, let alone pretend the other one is stupid for not hearing what they say?

To go technical : there are hardly (no?) countries with a direct democracy, but USA is, like most, a represented democracy: the people decide whom should represent their interest.

What you mock as 'being even more fucked' is actually how most of not all other (representative) democracies work : you choose whom you want to be lead by. Majority wins.
The us doesn't work that way. Heck... Technically the people haven't picked a single president in their entire history. Because as far as I understand, it stems from before or was technically possible to really hold elections in a country that big. But states hold their own elections, and the majority of that vote gets you a representative that'll pick the president. And the weight of that representative roughly depends on the population of the state.

I've heard that the 'roughly' is somewhat an issue to have changed (eg: state A has increased its population whilst B decreased. How is it taken into calculation?), but by far its the first part the post system that can cause huge swings between what the most people voted for and the resulting president. Especially since voting isn't obligated.

Let's pretend the us consists of two states with few citizens :
A has 100 citizens and therefore a representative worth 100.
B has 50 citizens and a representative worth 50

In the election, candidate X gets 21 votes from A and 3 from B. Total: 24 votes
Y gets 15 votes from A and 19 from B. Total : 34 votes

Most democracies would use that system to say Y had won. But the US doesn't. Their reasoning is that X won in A and got 100 points, and Y won in B so got 50 points. 100 > 50 so X wins.

I'm not in a position to claim its an outdated system and i frankly don't care that you're a fan of the system. But would you please shut up about repeating that 'he got the majority' bullshit? It's factually wrong.
Blah blah blah. He was president because the people voted him in, end of story. I ain't shutting up just because you want me too,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Blah blah blah. He was president because the people voted him in, end of story. I ain't shutting up just because you want me too,
My point was that you were factually incorrect when you said he received a majority of the vote. Hilary Clinton received more votes than him, and Joe Biden received significantly more votes than him. Trump became president after the 2016 election because of the Electoral College, a system that is grossly undemocratic, disproportionately benefits one side, and gives more voting power to people and less to others based solely on where they live.

No he didn't win the popular vote, but the popular vote isn't what gets you elected. I don't know why your side is stuck focusing on a number that doesn't decide who wins or who loses.

Would you mind providing me with proof of this? I've never to this date heard of Trump doing that. The only thing I've read were his tweets telling the rioters to stop and go home.
I suggest familiarizing yourself with the actual timeline of events:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domes..._United_States_Capitol_attack#President_Trump

Regarding my specific claim, which is one example of many, Kevin McCarthy pleaded with Trump over the phone to call off the rioters and condemn the violence, and Trump (while relishing in what was going on) responded by saying, “Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...rgument-during-capitol-riots-sources-n1257805

There's a reason why bipartisan majorities in both the House and Senate voted to impeach and convict respectively.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On claims of he is so desperately unpopular that he would mobilise the inactive (particularly youth, maybe even places where it matters such as not winner take all or swing states), turn off the independents/centrists and make some lifelong republican voters (whatever have not died in the last 4 years anyway, which stats and lifespans say is probably a fair few, with whatever the "if you don't vote blah as a youth you have no heart" set presumably being those independents and centrists) either stay at home or go libertarian then do we have any vaguely recent polls or anything to that effect? I am as dubious about polls as anybody that followed any elections for the last 5 or so cycles/10 or so years or indeed knows basic statistics and sampling/polling/questioning theory (how many use rather loaded questions for one) but they can still reveal some info, certainly more than anecdote and supposition.

I am also curious to see what effect social meeja might play this time. Facebook is somewhat dying (though demographics there might get fun to contemplate), twitter is losing what little lustre it ever had (though big enough to still note) and that means the game changes somewhat, especially if the changes accelerate on a nice timeline before then.
Can't wait for tiktok is Chinese spyware, paedophile hunting ground, ruining attention spans of kids allowing political advertising, even more so if silicon valley has a little pact to make it hard for those they don't like to play.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

The people didn't vote him in. The general population didn't really have a say.

He was put in by a few people through the electoral college.

Reactions: The Catboy

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

These events never happened. Never. Trump 100% did not win because the majority of people wanted him to. You are 100% factually wrong, yet you're still carrying on with complete lies. Please get help, because it literally seems you are suffering from mental illness. Some sort of identity crisis or dissociative identity disorder. Which is ok. Just know that there is help out there for you.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

You pride yourself on being inaccurate? The devil is in the details. Don't let your laziness make a fool of you.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean maybe? I personally just can't get behind Vaxy Don anymore and probably won't be involved with the hoax voting system going forward in general, but good luck to anyone who still wants him, I guess. Hard to reckon anyone could really be any worse than what we have now.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus more crybaby's came to this thread than...actually, this is the reasonable amount of crybabies on this site lol Still can't accept Trump got in fairly so they simp to a literal brain dead retard currently in office. This whole thread and the people in it just proves Trump is still living in their heads rent free. Like, it's the only thing they think about and they only know hate because of how bitter and miserable they are. Wonder how people will cope if Trump gets in again? Spike in suicides?

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The people didn't vote him in. The general population didn't really have a say.

He was put in by a few people through the electoral college.
Yes he did.

These events never happened. Never. Trump 100% did not win because the majority of people wanted him to. You are 100% factually wrong, yet you're still carrying on with complete lies. Please get help, because it literally seems you are suffering from mental illness. Some sort of identity crisis or dissociative identity disorder. Which is ok. Just know that there is help out there for you.
Speaking of mental illness, would you like some help for your TDS?

You pride yourself on being inaccurate? The devil is in the details. Don't let your laziness make a fool of you.
Hey man, what's true is true, and you can't change that.
I still say:

Oh Hell fuq NO! :angry::evil::angry:

Over Flame 's dead body, he won't win.
That can be arranged~ jk Let's wait and see what'll happen in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: AncientBoi

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes he did.

Speaking of mental illness, would you like some help for your TDS?

Hey man, what's true is true, and you can't change that.

That can be arranged~ jk Let's wait and see what'll happen in the future.

Lmfao. You're not even GOOD at trolling. It's not even slightly amusing. It's all just incredibly stupid. And TDS? You guys can't even come up with an insult without fucking it up. :rofl: The most amusing part of it all though is that regardless of ANYTHING you say, you're still wrong. Trump never won popular vote. You still lose. LOL!

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I hope he never becomes president again. Watching Trump supporters go through mental gymnastics is too enjoyable.
Dude, do you have multiple personalities? I only ask because the other you just acknowledged that Trump won solely because of the electoral college. If the majority of the voting population wanted him in, the majority would've voted for him. Pretty simple concept.
As someone actually diagnosed with DID (Dissociative identity disorder or commonly known as multiple personality disorder,) I can safely say that even my alters have greater continuity than that.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus more crybaby's came to this thread than...actually, this is the reasonable amount of crybabies on this site lol Still can't accept Trump got in fairly so they simp to a literal brain dead retard currently in office.

Ummm. No one is stating Trump did not get in fairly. They are stating that he only won from the electoral colllege, not because he was voted in by the majority of people. Which are facts. Wtf is wrong with you?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ummm. No one is stating Trump did not get in fairly. They are stating that he only won from the electoral colllege, not because he was voted in by the majority of people. Which are facts. Wtf is wrong with you?
He deliberately made an effort to surround himself with exclusively conservative views and news outlets to the point where his personality is just a generic conservative guy on gaming forums.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment