Can consoles from different regions play together on local?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by raylgo, Jul 2, 2017.

1. raylgo
    OP

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    A friend recently bought a Europe region console with Luma already and some games installed. I'm not sure which region the games were from but select games cannot play with my console. Can't even see the other 3ds... So far, we've tested Mario kart, Mario party island tour, and new super mario Brothers 2. Tekken won't even load at all. Gives out an error.

I'm wondering if it's a problem of the Europe console + us game vs us console + us game or is it a Europe console + Europe game vs us console + us game.

My console is all the same region with all games and I'm not sure if his is different but that's all the difference I can see. Both consoles on Luma.

2. kikongokiller

kikongokiller Custom Title

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Western Australia
    You cannot play local unless you both have a game from the same region. I've tried playing EUR MK7 with a US MK7 and it doesn't work.

3. Blebleman

Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Nov 14, 2003
    Canada
    Chiba Prefecture , Japan
    My friend with his US console played fine with my JP console when he was over for vacation.

4. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Download Play and Local Play r region locked

5. raylgo
    OP

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    Can Luma's Region Emulator fix that problem? Like a Europe game being tricked into being a US game?

It's not a console issue right? If a Europe console had a us game ,can it still play with a us console with a us game?

6. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    It's a console issue

7. raylgo
    OP

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    oh... Can the region emulator trick the console? We were able to play Mario Party Star Rush but I wasn't sure what region his game came from...

8. DarkSynopsis

DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2014
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Luma (7+) fixes up Local/Download Play region locks but the game still needs to be the same region, before Luma a JPN game couldn't even create a local lobby without an error but now it can, but its still only JPN to JPN.

EU + US Game and US + US Game should work, essentially region of the console shouldn't matter at this point its the game region that is screwing it up, both would need MK7 EU or MK7 US or in the case of most of the games you mentioned, just setup download play?

Shy Guy best MK7 character anyway ;)

9. raylgo
    OP

raylgo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2007
    Oh ok. Thank you do much for clearing that up.