Homebrew Can anyone tell me what he's talking about?

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried installing a non-cryptofixed seed.db game cia on 10.7 to see if they patched the trick where you can just go into the eshop to update the seed.db even for games you haven't legitimately purchased?
Can anyone explain this to me? I already asked twice on another thread but either got no response or the person removed their answer from their post. I'm really lost on this one. Is this even a real thing?

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparantly, the seed.db is required for part of the decryption function that allows games built for firmware 9.6+ to run (unless it is cryptofixed). It is downloaded whenever you visit the eshop page for that title. At least this is how I understand it. I had to do this when I installed a Pokemon Blue VC CIA from that iso site. It locked my console up at first but once I visited the eShop page for the game, I was able to play. That is how I understood it anyway... someone correct me if I'm wrong. This thread has a little bit of information.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-a-cryptofix.391151/

Last edited by Ryft,
D

Deleted User

Basically what's above. When someone creates a CIA that's not cryptofixed, the encryption key notices it's not the correct console and you'll see the 3DS screen endlessly.

By going into the game on the e-shop, it usually will fix the encryption key. Or you can even usually run "Repair Software" to fix it. Similar to how it fixes the database (FBI usage)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone explain this to me? I already asked twice on another thread but either got no response or the person removed their answer from their post. I'm really lost on this one. Is this even a real thing?

Some newer eshop games have an extra layer of encryption and thus will not work when installed via a pirated CIA file (or even one you backed up yourself from a different 3DS). Visiting the eshop after installing it, even if you just enter the eshop and then immediately close it without looking at anything, will update a file called seed.db with the necessary data to make it work. The Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow virtual console games are one example of this.

Or if you prefer: The eShop (or to be precise, the title information obtained via the ninja server) saves a crypto seed that is required to make parts of the decryption of some 9.6+ titles work. Though that won't help unless you understand how encryption works, both regular "symmetric" encryption and public key encryption.

Apparantly, the seed.db is required for part of the decryption function that allows games built for firmware 9.6+ to run (unless it is cryptofixed). It is downloaded whenever you visit the eshop page for that title. At least this is how I understand it. I had to do this when I installed a Pokemon Blue VC CIA from that iso site. It locked my console up at first but once I visited the eShop page for the game, I was able to play. That is how I understood it anyway... someone correct me if I'm wrong. This thread has a little bit of information.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-a-cryptofix.391151/

No, you don't have to visit the eshop page for that title, merely enter the eshop. At least I didn't have to do anything more than just open the eshop and then close it once it loaded.

Last edited by nl255,

Mistie

Legit Furry Trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, you don't have to visit the eshop page for that title, merely enter the eshop. At least I didn't have to do anything more than just open the eshop and then close it once it loaded.
Sometimes just opening the eShop works, sometimes I have to go to the page, and sometimes I have to actually run the Repair Software feature to get games to work.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Heh kinda funny i think it's "best" to keep it a secret heh

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OH GEE8 I M IN YO QUOT BOX1!1!11!111!1!1!111!!!!11!!11

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)