Can anyone tell me if these games are fake ???

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Dylan23455, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Dylan23455
    OP

Dylan23455 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    Australia
    So i was trying to extract my saves from these games the other day but they kept giving me corrupt saves so i opened them up to find they dont have batterys and the chips are inconsistant
    Pkmn emerald and leaf green are usa
    And pkmn fire red is eur

Attached Files:

2. minimorphee

minimorphee Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2017
    Albania
    I think they are fake BUT to check you have to look on the chip if you find the same serial as the label of the game. For example ag-Xxx-Xxx. if they are not identical your game is wrong. What seems odd to me is the black dough that Nintendo normally never uses ...

Mini

3. RaptorDMG

RaptorDMG GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Stirling
    All fake
    Black blobs, no battery on emerald and wrong chips

Last edited by RaptorDMG, Jun 19, 2019
    zfreeman likes this.
  4. minimorphee

minimorphee Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2017
    Albania
  5. Dylan23455
    OP

Dylan23455 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    Australia
    Pokemon fire red is AGB-E05-02
    pokemon emerald AGB-E05-01
    pokemon leaf green is AGB-E05-01

6. minimorphee

minimorphee Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2017
    Albania
    I did not express myself well. What you give me is the pcb reference. You have to look at the sticker and the serial which is marked on it. In general this serial, you have to find it on one of the pcb chips. If it is not, then it's a copy!

Mini

7. Dylan23455
    OP

Dylan23455 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2019
    Australia
    Pokemon leaf green is AGB-BPGE-USA
    Pokemon emerald is AGB-BPEE-USA

8. zxr750j

zxr750j Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2003
    Netherlands
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Only Emerald should normally have a battery (because Pokemon on GBA uses flash save type but Emerald has a RTC)
    I can't speak for the other two but that one is definitely a bootleg.

Dylan23455 likes this.
  10. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    GBA Pokemon reproductions use SRAM to cut down on production cost. SRAM needs a battery to maintain a save, but the battery is not included, also to lower production cost. Instead, the ROM is patched with instructions to flash the SRAM to patch the ROM chip. This causes the game to freeze momentarily during saving, because the game's ROM is being rewritten.

To extract the save, dump the ROM from the cartridge. The save will be in the ROM. Open the emulator VBA and run the game. The game will start where it was last saved and subsequently flashed to the ROM. Save in-game and a proper save file will be created by the emulator.

To correct the cartridge to save properly, a clean ROM needs to be SRAM patched with gbata. After, the patched ROM needs to replace the old ROM on the chip, usually done by reflashing using Bennvenn's Joey. A v3 coin battery needs soldered to those 2 adjacent contact pads, on the right side, for the SRAM to keep a save.