Homebrew Can anyone Program DS Game Maker well?

VoltManEXE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan on making one of my own DS games using DS game maker (or, if you can suggest a better one...). Ive got most of my team backed up, and all I need is an engine.
The game will be a MegaMan Battle Network spin-off, so I will need an overworld engine (and hopefully battle engine) to even begin the game.
I do have programmers with me too, but they could only do so much. One of them coded an incomplete engine, so hopefully he can look at this engine to understand it.
Anyway, if anyone thinks they can help me contribute to this, please let me know by posting here, or in a PM.

Thanks!

vrchards

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With DS Game Maker, you can make all sorts of 2-dimensional games using just your mouse and keyboard. Even though it is simple and logical to use, DS Game Maker allows you to make appealing games with animated graphics, sound and random game play.I dont think that you will get much better game maker. So I will suggest DS Game Maker 4.6 , It is free also. So without paying any thing you can design game.This version also support some programming tools to enhance your design.

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think you even need an engine for DS game maker.... i think you can just start from scratch using it. i might be wrong, but if you dont need to code the engine... id just start from scratch.

VoltManEXE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have my programmer look at it. He originally coded it to the regular Game Maker, for YoYogames.com, perhaps this would be easier for him?
Now, what about the battle system? That seems like it would be a little harder to do, considering the custom menu, the number of battlechips, etc.
Any advice for that?

AAcrazyman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VoltManEXE said:
I'll have my programmer look at it. He originally coded it to the regular Game Maker, for YoYogames.com, perhaps this would be easier for him?
Now, what about the battle system? That seems like it would be a little harder to do, considering the custom menu, the number of battlechips, etc.
Any advice for that?

Ive personally never coded anything, but i am in the process of learning how to code!
smile.gif

so, im afraid i cant help you on that. sorry!

jeremy506

Some dude.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
DSGameMaker is just a cover up for PAlib made by a 16 year old.

Using the program, you learn absolutely nothing.
Try learning C or C++, then use PAlib and if you want to make 3D games, NitroEngine, or OpenGL.

Far more flexability than the program, guys!

DSGameMaker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dsgamemaker.com
XP
Country
Don't think you are in a position to advise anyone about anything here Alex Plunkett.

You failed at creating a project with DS Game Maker (the easy way) then failed even worse using your own devices (programming).

Also - as you are considerably younger than me - lest it be said - Age of the creator is irrelevant.

jeremy506

Some dude.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
I'm not trying to flame here, but there has yet to be a complete game with DSGameMaker submitted by someone, even in it's two years of development.

I have no grudge against the software, I mean, it's great for beginners, however; Some people think it should be free of charge.

Check out the "Team Building" section on his site.
All of these topics were locked due to inactivity, the creators left.

"Paper Mario: Legend of the Mystic Fountain(STORY NEEDED!!!) "
"FLIGHTXTREME game"
"My Pokemon Ranch DS "
"Team members needed fo TLoZ Eternal Darkness "
"need team to help make paper mario mini games "
"EX-Neko- help needed "
"Small Fighter DS "

And finally, VoltManEXE,
"Megaman DS" - topic started by "HylianHeroX"

So do you catch my jist?

-DSGameMaker can't do 3D (as James claimes "yet")
-It's getting noobier ever version
-It actually costs 11 dollars (in a recession)
-You need MSFrame.net installed

It's funny also, because James pretends he hates me but he actually misses me from DSGameMaker.

tombot

Trophies
Website
www.wix.com
XP
Country
United States
Skullcollector said:
I'm not trying to flame here, but there has yet to be a complete game with DSGameMaker submitted by someone, even in it's two years of development.

That's interesting. You yourself have a game featured on the Game page called "SuperMaze". Happens to be the only game you finished.

Back on topic........

DSGM is loads easier than programming by hand (case-in-point, Skullcollector/Alex). Plenty of tutorials and one on making a sidescroller, which is what you are looking for, right? I don't know, never played Battle Network
unsure.gif

Check out the Forums section of the website. Hope this helps!

gbasp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've always been kind to @AncientBoi