can anyone please tell me what anti virus should I install?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Eric345, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Eric345
    OP

Member Eric345 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well my Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware so I decide to remove it.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  3. Bulit

Member Bulit GBAtemp Regular

United States

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  5. Eric345
    OP

Member Eric345 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wow thats a lot of anti virus this is going to be a hard decision for me even though I read everything

6. easycrashing

Member easycrashing GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus 2011 ranked highest on stopping malware on some independent tests, with kaspersky being second.

7. Infinite Zero

Member Infinite Zero Almost!

United States
    You don't need the BEST AV... downloading files only from trusted sites, and site advisors[Web of Trust] will help you though.

I personally USE KIS 2010 and I can say that I've had no complaints of it except for the space it takes on my RAM. [​IMG]

8. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    yeah, he's right, just pick sites to visit and where you download. but i use avira free. don't wanna pay for stuff. but avira has a lot of false detections

9. diando

Member diando GBATemp™ Creepy Arceus™

Canada
    Believe me or not.... Anti-viruses actually slowdown computers so I have none on mine..... I educated myself to be my own Anti-virus and I have removed many viruses by myself.

So get educated and be your own Anti-virus or get AVG.

10. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Believe me or not... I educated myself to be my own anti-virus too. That means absolutely nothing if someone less educated (read, younger siblings or random friends) uses your computer whilst you're not supervising.

To be safe, I use a Kaspersky 3 user license on my computer and 3 laptops. The other working computer uses Avira, and gets subjected to a monthly cleaning session by myself because my Dad thinks of that computer as a "testing ground".

Kaspersky current takes 1960 KB of my 4GB of RAM, compared to WoW that takes a whole GB of my RAM.

11. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    MCAFEE 2010

12. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    No shit.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Umm, yeah AVG isn't that great, though I agree. Instead of researching hours for the best anti-virus, you should just revise the way you use the interwebs. It's like sex, you can have all the contraception you want, but the best way to prevent an STD is to stop being a slutty bitch.
    But since it IS highly recommended to have an anti-virus, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, since it stays the fuck out of your way until there's a problem.

13. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Antivirus is alot like condoms, if you don't fuck around then you don't even need one. ^.^.

Here's the november 10 test http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stor...tro_nov2010.pdf

and the final chart inside it:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Except that sometimes viruses can be transferred just by touching someone. In the case of computers, just plugging in a USB is enough to spread certain worms. An Anti-Virus program is always useful just incase.

15. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Considering you can even get infected by good sites like The New York Times, the whole "be careful and you don't need an antivirus" is bullshit. Anybody that said so, please go educate yourselves before you give anybody else computer advice.

Really, detection rates don't matter as much as places want you to think they do.

If you go and compare different AV rating sites, they all seem to rank them in a different order. Why? A detection rate is not concrete. It is not a measurement of probability given in regards to how things will work, because everything is so uncertain, and new viruses come out daily. It's a measurement of how well programs actually performed. Do you think any one company has access to every single virus on the planet?

Chances are just as good with ANY AV software that you can get an infection it won't pick up. You can use AVG and get an infection it won't pick up, and then switch to avast to clear out that infection, then get another one that avast won't pick up that AVG would have.

A big thing with scanners is Heuristics. It's basically the scanner puts a file in a virtual environment and predicts how it'll react to certain stimuli. Like if you put a guy in the matrix next to an old lady with money buldging out of her purse, does he make a move to steal it or not? Does he go to stab her? If so, he's a suspicious file. Heuristics are not always right (he may have been reaching for her to hold her arm to help her across the road!), and they will inflate the number of files found. Generally if it has a very generic name (like just being called a virus, instead of something like "Hidrag.A" ), it's a heuristics result. Most of the time this will pick up brand new viruses, but sometimes it can think safe things are viruses. If you dislike this, you can go into the options of the virus scanner and simply turn it off.

Those rating websites are not concrete, should not be taken as the final word (except in extreme examples like 25%+ difference), if you want to see whether an AV will pick up a specific infection or not (or if you want a second opinion on if a file is infected), use this site.
    http://www.virustotal.com/

What should matter when picking an AntiVirus is that you get one that doesn't annoy you and doesn't block things like want (some paid ones like Norton/McAfee will block flash/youtube and other things you want based on the underlying technology, not any actual infection). Generally the more a single program does (if it's an antivirus/firewall/antimalware/toaster combo, for example), the more stuff it will block that you may not want it to block... but the safer you will be overall.

Remember, it's personal choice. As long as the antivirus you choose has good ratings on a list, it should work fine.

17. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Disable autorun would fix that and only enable it when necessary. Not saying that AVs are bad things, I have a couple (MBAM and MSE and a memory stick full of different AVs that I update monthly for work). But it's rare you'll get something if you're going on legal sites, doing legal things and not viewing seedy stuff, I'm not saying it's a 100% sure way to no viruses as you can get them by viewing pages online that contain them in certain ways but it lowers the chance of getting one dramatically.