Status
Not open for further replies.

Yiffna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've bought a second hand iPad 2 not realising it was iCloud locked to the previous owners e-mail address. I've tried contacting them but I'm getting nowhere.
Can I remove the lock somehow or have I got myself a nice shiny brick.
Any help appreciated

Yiff

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thre is no way to unlock it without the help of the previous owner.
To quote this article:
This is a security feature that makes it very hard for someone to use or sell a stolen device.

If you see this, you have to contact the former owner. Only the former owner can remove this. There are no other ways to bypass iCloud Activation Lock. If you call Apple, they will not help you. DFU restore will not fix this. This is because the previous owner’s Apple ID is securely stored on Apple’s activation servers and linked to his/her iPad or iPhone.

As the article goes on to say, the previous owner can remove the lock remotely by signing into iCloud on the web and removing the device. So you'd have to ask them nicely.

Last edited by Seriel, , Reason: more info

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Return it.

There's nothing you can really do to get past the iCloud lock unless the previous owner gives you access. If they refuse to do it, or can't, then it's a lost cause and it should be returned.

Reactions: VinsCool
D

Deleted User

You can do it by reflashing the nand chip. The device used is a few hundred dollars though. And it's pretty technical.

LOL, that sounds really difficult. Particularly if its the iPad Air 2, the screen is highly likely to be damaged upon removal.

Basically its unusable. Where did you buy it? If it was eBay or through PayPal, I would raise a dispute. You'll either get your money back or the seller will get it unlocked.

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted-394630

Where did you buy it? Most second-hand sites will let you report it and get a refund when you ship it back to the sender.

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
To quote this article:

As the article goes on to say, the previous owner can remove the lock remotely by signing into iCloud on the web and removing the device. So you'd have to ask them nicely.
you're wrong.
I've bought a second hand iPad 2 not realising it was iCloud locked to the previous owners e-mail address. I've tried contacting them but I'm getting nowhere.
Any help appreciated

Yiff
you can go to some unofficial service center for ipad. first, you need to backup your data (you can use windows or mac or ubuntu) same like my ipad 4, you must reinstall the iOS operating system.
ya same like a new ipad. i try this way when i forgot the password.
you can asking again if you dont understand

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Any help appreciated

Yiff
Just reinstall IOS from scratch. This is the best thing to do anyway as you never know what kind of junk or problems are on the iPad from the previous user.

D

Deleted-394630

Just reinstall IOS from scratch. This is the best thing to do anyway as you never know what kind of junk or problems are on the iPad from the previous user.
How would you reinstall IOS without unlocking the iCloud lock?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That's not how it works. iCloud activation locks are server based, it's not stored on the iPad itself. As soon as the iPad connects to the internet (which you have to during first time setup), it'll connect to Apple's server, search for the serial number in their database and then lock the device.

The reason reflashing the NAND above works is because you're effectively changing the serial number of the device, so it's not detected as being associated with an iCloud account when it contact's Apple's server.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Yiffna

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To quote this article:

Sorry for the late reply. I've had a poorly baby to look after. i was hoping a reinstallation or something like that would sort it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Where did you buy it? Most second-hand sites will let you report it and get a refund when you ship it back to the sender.

I bought it from eBay. But they've now left eBay so I'm struggling to get in touch with them.

Thanks for all the help. It looks like I either need to keep trying to get in touch with them or pass it to eBay/PayPal to sort

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's not how it works. iCloud activation locks are server based, it's not stored on the iPad itself. As soon as the iPad connects to the internet (which you have to during first time setup), it'll connect to Apple's server, search for the serial number in their database and then lock the device.

The reason reflashing the NAND above works is because you're effectively changing the serial number of the device, so it's not detected as being associated with an iCloud account when it contact's Apple's server.
Couldn't you use a DNS to redirect the traffic and either block it or say it's unlocked to the ipad

KevinLSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply. I've had a poorly baby to look after. i was hoping a reinstallation or something like that would sort it

I bought it from eBay. But they've now left eBay so I'm struggling to get in touch with them.

Thanks for all the help. It looks like I either need to keep trying to get in touch with them or pass it to eBay/PayPal to sort
File a dispute to get your money back. Looks like it was a scam if the seller left ebay after selling the ipad to you.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Couldn't you use a DNS to redirect the traffic and either block it or say it's unlocked to the ipad

That used to be a method. But does not work anymore. If you find something that does work please let me know. Still have an iPhone 5S here with the exact problem. Oh and the return policy with Paypal or Ebay is not working here. The device is shipped and works. Locked is not a reason to get your money back.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Oh and the return policy with Paypal or Ebay is not working here. The device is shipped and works. Locked is not a reason to get your money back.

I haven't had to deal with Ebay returns but it might be a case of how the complaint is worded. In the EU, at least, any goods sold need to be "fit for purpose". A device that is locked by password thus unable to be used in the way one would expect to, so is absolutely *not* "fit for purpose.

Reactions: BvanBart

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any help appreciated

Yiff
you supposed to run an imei checker b4 you bought it baby!!! you cant do anything about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning