Hacking Can anyone fix a broken WAD?

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tl;dr: I have a one-of-a-kind WAD file that returns -1022 when trying to install it, but my Wii installs any other WAD fine. What are my options?

So, I have a WAD file that I'm pretty sure nobody else anywhere has, because I ripped it myself. Let me provide some background.

Soon after the Wii's launch, and long before the Twilight Hack was even dreamed of, Star Fox 64 was released to the Virtual Console. Two or three weeks later, an update to Star Fox 64 was released that puts the "authentic" lag back in the game. In other words, the N64 version of Star Fox had many frame rate drops, but the VC version didn't, until the update. I never updated.
Many months passed, and WADs were circulating all over the internet, ready to install. However, any WAD of Star Fox 64 was of the "updated" version. Confident I was one of the only people with the original, lagless release, I ripped it to my computer for safekeeping in case anything bad happened.

And then I bricked my Wii.

I unbricked after a lot of work. However, upon reinstalling all my WADs, I was devastated to discover an error -1022 when attempting to install my copy of Star Fox 64. Every other WAD works fine. What could be causing this? Is there any possible way to troubleshoot, or perhaps dissect the file and determine exactly what's corrupt so I can replace it? (That is, if corruption is the issue.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use ATD and delete the version that is on your wii right now. make sure that teh ticket & tmd are gone. then try to reinstall your wad.

if that fails, see if you can unpack and repack the wad on your pc with wadmii or even install it to a nand dump with showmiiwads as a quick way to see if its fucked up.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I successfully loaded the WAD in the Dolphin emulator, so it must be functional, which is an enormous relief. I wonder why I can't install it, though. I unpacked and repacked it, and still no luck.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also like to point out that the ticket and title install fine. It dies when trying to install content #00. I'll continue to experiment.

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah! I did it.

I grabbed a functional WAD of the "updated" Star Fox 64, extracted it, and copied the title, ticket, and certificate files into my copy. I repacked it and successfully installed. Thanks for pointing me to the tool I needed. This WAD has to be preserved at all costs.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
What version is the wad you are talking about?
if you dont know, please run it through WadDataInfo.exe from wwpacker to get the version number..

FYI, if you have the tik from a new Starfox, you can download the older version from nusd..
I think v1, v2 and v3 exists so far of this game. You can get all 3 using the same tik (its the same game) ..

Anyways, can you tell me what version it is?

Edit: or you can just run it through showmiiwads to see the version number..

Haxxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShowMiiWads says mine is version 1, and after I unpacked, copied files from the working one, and repacked, it says it's version 3, though I'm confident it's really version 1.
Does manually changing the version ID have any effect? Also, I didn't know I could grab older versions from NUSD.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
The reason you see it as v3 is because you of the method you used.
And yes you can download from nusd without tickets (but thats only assuming a specific version is not removed.. in this case at the time I tried doing so, starfox v1 existed)

I'm not allowed to share the method I use (although I'm sure many people know about it and might be able to share it) but what you have to do is something like this
- download 000100014e414445 v1 from nusd.. and choose to ignore ticket
- get the tik from your wad after unpacking it and put it in the downloaded game folder
- I cant tell you the rest since I'm not allowed but basically I think you would be decrypting the contents of the downloaded game (along with the tik in the same directory) which will result in a new folder, and then sign the new folder to get the wad
- After you get the wad, there are some checks you would have to see with a hex editor to verify the integrity of your wad

Edit: 000100014e414445 is the starfox, v1 is the version of the game.. This is just an example

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2