Hacking Can anybody PLEASE explain to me what I need to do ? :|

spacedkadet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just do it man
wink.gif

Use banner bomb then bootmii. After that you will have the homebrew channel installed and working.

These are neccesary steps that are safe and easy and will not mess with anything in the future. If you cant install as boot2 then installing as an IOS will do and it wont mess anything up in the future as it is your ONLY option.

Once that's in do as the others have said and play with it abit.

My advice would be to install the latest Homebrew_browser in the apps folder and load it from the hbc.
Once in there youll see all kinds of tools, media players and games to mess with it. When your happy everything is ok then go for the truch bug restorer and the cios14 followed by your loader(s) of choice.

I did this stuff and its easy as long as you read and ask (which you have) it's also great fun, i enjoy messing with my PAL (im also in UK) wii more than playing the retail games
wink.gif

Lee.

spacedkadet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im from Leamington spa, England. Smack bang in the middle of the country.

Oh and if you can't install (even if you can really) bootmii as boot2 then you should install preloader as anti-brick protection.
That would come after installing bannerbomb/bootmi/homebrew_browser. But before installing tbr/cios/etc.

tbird2340

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beegee7730 said:
[*]First download and put bannerbomb on your SD card. If you are unable to download it, scroll down to TroyTheZombies post and download from there.
[*]Then download the Hackmii installer and place in on the root of your SD, keeping it named boot.elf.
[*]Now turn on your wii, and go into Settings --> Data Management --> Channels and a popup should appear asking "Load boot.dol/elf?", click yes.[*]After that attempt to install Bootmii as Boot2 first, if you are unable to, install Bootmii as IOS.
[*]Then install the Homebrew channel and exit the application.
[*]Put your SD card in your PC and create a folder called "apps" on it.
[*]After that make a folder in it called "Trucha bug restorer" and put this in it.
[*]Then put your SD card into your PC again and download wad manager, CIOS38 rev14 and USB Loader 1.5, rename to boot.dol and place in seperate folders in the "apps" folder (Eg. apps/Wad Manager/boot.dol).
[*]After that create a folder called "Wads" on the root of your SD card.
[*]Finally, you should be all set to go! if you want to download any applications, visit here.
Comparing the above post to this (which is a little more detailed walk through): How to Store/Load Wii Games via USB...

Being that his walkthrough is for a 4.0 Wii and if I upgrade to the latest (4.1, right?) would the process still be the same?

Thanks much!

spacedkadet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes. 4.0 and 4.1 are more or less the same, just a fix for wii sports resorts.
Personally on a virgin wii i would just do all nintendo updates before beginning.

tbird2340

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spacedkadet said:
yes. 4.0 and 4.1 are more or less the same, just a fix for wii sports resorts.
Personally on a virgin wii i would just do all nintendo updates before beginning.

Yea, that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the reply!

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spacedkadet said:

Oh and if you can't install (even if you can really) bootmii as boot2 then you should install preloader as anti-brick protection.
That would come after installing bannerbomb/bootmi/homebrew_browser. But before installing tbr/cios/etc.

Actually preloader should come in afterwards after you are on the final FW you want (if you're on 4.1 already that doesn't matter) and you have run the TBR and installed your cIOS. I believe preloader needs what the TBR does to IOS36 in order to install.

tbird2340 said:
QUOTE(beegee7730 @ Jul 29 2009, 03:37 PM) [*]First download and put bannerbomb on your SD card. If you are unable to download it, scroll down to TroyTheZombies post and download from there.
[*]Then download the Hackmii installer and place in on the root of your SD, keeping it named boot.elf.
[*]Now turn on your wii, and go into Settings --> Data Management --> Channels and a popup should appear asking "Load boot.dol/elf?", click yes.[*]After that attempt to install Bootmii as Boot2 first, if you are unable to, install Bootmii as IOS.
[*]Then install the Homebrew channel and exit the application.
[*]Put your SD card in your PC and create a folder called "apps" on it.
[*]After that make a folder in it called "Trucha bug restorer" and put this in it.
[*]Then put your SD card into your PC again and download wad manager, CIOS38 rev14 and USB Loader 1.5, rename to boot.dol and place in seperate folders in the "apps" folder (Eg. apps/Wad Manager/boot.dol).
[*]After that create a folder called "Wads" on the root of your SD card.
[*]Finally, you should be all set to go! if you want to download any applications, visit here.
Comparing the above post to this (which is a little more detailed walk through): How to Store/Load Wii Games via USB...

Being that his walkthrough is for a 4.0 Wii and if I upgrade to the latest (4.1, right?) would the process still be the same?

Thanks much!

Don't follow that mikeandeath guide. It involves downgrading IOS35 which is no longer a safe method of getting cIOS installed on new Wii's. The Trucha Bug Restorer is a MUCH safer method as it works on any type of Wii of any firmware (except FW's less than 3.3 where you wouldn't need it anyways since you would already have the trucha bug in all IOS's).

Hasn't this guide already been posted here? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168890

That should be detailed enough to accomplish what you need to do. Neogamma does work for usb loading as well but if you want, at that point you can just swap in USB Loader GX instead of neogamma.

D

Deleted User

thanks for the great guide it relly cleared up things up for me thanks again. I have a question whats a virgin wii is it one that has not been hacked ?

spacedkadet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Control bootmii with the buttons on the front of the wii, power is up eject is down and reset is select.
preloader:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=135174

But i was wrong (my bad) preloader has to come after tbr.

And yes you can transfer the the folder/files made by bootmii onto another card but they need to be on the card inside the wii or no bootmii.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Connorlucas18 said:
spacedkadet said:

Oh cool, I'm from staffs, so not far at all really.

So yeah, guys, I've took the plunge and used bannerbomb & the hackmii installer. It all went smoothly (yay!) but, as I suspected, I was only able to install Bootmii as IOS.
frown.gif

So yeah, Bootmii saved some files to my SD card, would I be able to transfer these files to my other SD card? That is the one I am going to be using with the Wii really. Also, what can I actually do with the IOS Bootmii? :/ I couldn't really work it out as I have no gamecube controller, and so couldn't do anything in Bootmii.

And preloader ey? How would I go about installing preloader? Can somebody point me to a guide or something please?
smile.gif

This guides been posted here quite a few times now i think

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Connorlucas18 said:
Okay, thanks.

So what is the point in having IOS Bootmii really? O.o

And can I still use the Bootmii SD card for apps and homebrew and stuff?

Oh, and what would happen if I tried to run Bootmii with no SD card in the slot?

Not much at the moment (also the buttons on the Wii won't work in the IOS version, that REQUIRES a GC controller)

You can still use it to backup your NAND, but if you ever do try to restore it with the IOS version it will tell you it is too dangerous to continue and you would have to press like A+B+X+Y on the GC controller if you still want to continue anyways. If that fails though it may brick your Wii harder than anything else can.

You can use the same card for other apps. If you try to load bootmii without the bootmii folder still named "bootmii" on your sd card or without the sd card at all it just won't load.

Basically if you have preloader as well and brick yourself in some way. If everything you try to fix the brick with preloader doesn't work, you can try loading the IOS bootmii and restore the NAND through that as a last resort.

Other than that there's not much that it will do for you especially if you don't have a GC controller. The best brick protection is just knowing what you're doing and what you can and can't do on your Wii.

tbird2340

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can use either, but skip steps 9 and 10 of the ULTIMATE guide especially if you have a boot2v4 Wii. You can't run IOS downgrader and cIOS downgrader on those Wii's and it isn't necessary either way.

Whichever one you feel is easier to understand is the one you should use. Aside from that step 9 and 10 in the ULTIMATE guide they are essentially doing the same thing, but the fully softmod any wii one will have you install cIOS rev13b and the ULTIMATE one will have you install rev10. Either way I suggest you replace that step in both of them with cIOS rev14 to be fully up to date.

Any channel you install will be on the Wii regardless of the SD card being in or not. If you install the NeoGamma channel, you can have that load backups from the channel in the system menu the same way the disc channel loads them (without the game specific channel animations) If the channel is a forwarder though, then it will need the SD card to be in to actually load anything, but it will still show up on the menu regardless. Also if the SD card isn't in, you can still launch the HBC, but all you will see is bubbles as there are no apps for it to run unless the SD card is in.

Also if your nephews are gonna be playing around with it, make sure you don't have any games that ask for updates when playing them through the disc channel. You don't want to run any disc updates with homebrew stuff. If you install preloader you can get the hacks.ini for your region and FW and enable the skip disc update check hack.

tbird2340

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
You can use either, but skip steps 9 and 10 of the ULTIMATE guide especially if you have a boot2v4 Wii. You can't run IOS downgrader and cIOS downgrader on those Wii's and it isn't necessary either way.

Whichever one you feel is easier to understand is the one you should use. Aside from that step 9 and 10 in the ULTIMATE guide they are essentially doing the same thing, but the fully softmod any wii one will have you install cIOS rev13b and the ULTIMATE one will have you install rev10. Either way I suggest you replace that step in both of them with cIOS rev14 to be fully up to date.

Any channel you install will be on the Wii regardless of the SD card being in or not. If you install the NeoGamma channel, you can have that load backups from the channel in the system menu the same way the disc channel loads them (without the game specific channel animations) If the channel is a forwarder though, then it will need the SD card to be in to actually load anything, but it will still show up on the menu regardless. Also if the SD card isn't in, you can still launch the HBC, but all you will see is bubbles as there are no apps for it to run unless the SD card is in.

Also if your nephews are gonna be playing around with it, make sure you don't have any games that ask for updates when playing them through the disc channel. You don't want to run any disc updates with homebrew stuff. If you install preloader you can get the hacks.ini for your region and FW and enable the skip disc update check hack.

Excellent. Thanks for the reply..

So what is the best way for the Wii to look stock / play stock if I want it to? Basically I don't want them seeing / playing any backups (only the actual retail case versions).. If I have the USB Loader GX channel installed, is there a way to password protect it or something? If not, what is the best way to implement that scenario?

Thanks!

LurkyTheHamster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Channel are going to be around no matter what. You can't prevent that really. However without the sd card in, if they load the homebrew channel they can't really do anything with it.

I have my wii set up 'kid friendly' with a usb loader. I use a channel forwarder to my loader. Without the sd card in, it just says error not found and exits. Again no damage done. If you don't want to go that far, and only want to use the homebrew channel, just move it over in the channel listing to the last page. They aren't that likely to scroll over there past empty pages of channels, and even if they should with no sd card in, no big concern. Hold the B button and then press A on the channel to drag it over to that page. Just an idea.
smile.gif

tbird2340

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LurkyTheHamster said:
Channel are going to be around no matter what. You can't prevent that really. However without the sd card in, if they load the homebrew channel they can't really do anything with it.

I have my wii set up 'kid friendly' with a usb loader. I use a channel forwarder to my loader. Without the sd card in, it just says error not found and exits. Again no damage done. If you don't want to go that far, and only want to use the homebrew channel, just move it over in the channel listing to the last page. They aren't that likely to scroll over there past empty pages of channels, and even if they should with no sd card in, no big concern. Hold the B button and then press A on the channel to drag it over to that page. Just an idea.
smile.gif

Oh wow. You can do that? Move it all the way over like that? Yea, that should work.. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But.. If I want to install things as channels (say USB Loader GX channel) it will display but if the SD card isn't in it won't work?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tbird2340 said:
LurkyTheHamster said:

smile.gif

Oh wow. You can do that? Move it all the way over like that? Yea, that should work.. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But.. If I want to install things as channels (say USB Loader GX channel) it will display but if the SD card isn't in it won't work?

If you install a channel it will still work. There are parental controls in recent revisions though (haven't really played around with those myself though.

If you use a forwarder channel and not a direct channel (which is highly suggested for usb loader GX as they update it VERY frequently and installing a direct channel will mean you'd have to reinstall a new channel everytime, but with a forwarder, the SD card will need to be there and you can update it automatically through usb loader GX itself and not have to change the forwarder channel.

So basically get a forwarder for any loaders you use. Then it won't load without an sd card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: