Can any of the current chips be disabled?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cmellis, Jul 26, 2007.

Jul 26, 2007
  1. cmellis
    OP

Newcomer cmellis Member

I'm thinking about getting my PAL Wii chipped, but I was wondering if it's possible to turn off the chip once it's installed.
    I've read about it messing up Gamecube games, even originals, so it would nice if it could just be disabled to effectively turn the console back into an unmodified one.

2. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

Nothing messes up anything, there are ways to make it inactive, someone even installed one externally, in a dongle, so you just basically unplug it when you dont want to use it.

The messes up you must have read about is refering to about maybe 4 gamecube games, like waverace, which have streaming audio, which just crashes. All other GC games work fine, i mean i play FIFA07 USA original Gamecube disc on my PAL Wii with WiiKey, and works no problems, as do all other GC games i own, and i even downloaded a few from the past which i never got around to buying and they all worked too.

Maybe like 5% of GC games dont work correctly. Thats just a guess.

This is an example of an external mod, you simply unplug it. Should be able to do with WiiKey:

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=50533

3. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Please don't link to MaxConSL (not that I don't agree with the work of the poster you are linking too, his idea came around the same time as my guide so cudos [​IMG]).
    http://wii.scorpei.com/Guides_external-TSSP.html

As for specific "disabeling the switch" you could also just use a wire for the power solder point and hook it up to a switch and place the switch on the outside of your Wii (or use the reset switch)

4. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Scopei's site is the best!

I did an external install of my wiikey & now that I have wiifree too I can switch between them whenever I like!

5. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    uhh the Wiinja deluxe can disable the chip at any time (as long as the reset switch has been done).

pm me if you want wiikey or wiinja installs =)