can any AK homebrew use the SD slot?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by gui3, Oct 20, 2009.

Oct 20, 2009
  1. gui3
    OP

Newcomer gui3 Member

United States
    the DSi's SD slot, obviously, adds tons of storage.

can the AK - or any other cart - use the SD slot for ROMs/homebrew/videos/music/etc?

2. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    simple answer : no

3. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Still none of the apps can use the DSi advantages (Cameras, SD Slot, memory, full capacity of the procesor, etc etc etc), some say it is up the flashcards, some say it is up to the way of making an app (according with what I understood)...!! [​IMG]

4. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    It's the flashcart itself as far as I'm aware. It boots the DSi into DS compatible mode which switches off all the DSi extras.

5. gui3
    OP

Newcomer gui3 Member

United States
    that's really interesting. i guess full DSI hardware support is being worked on?

6. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I couldn't tell you for certain, but I'd imagine it is.

7. JohanX

Newcomer JohanX Advanced Member

United States
    I have a suspicion that you will never get support for the DSi hardware (camera, SD card, etc) from any slot 1 cartridge.

The only applications so far that access this hardware have been downloadable programs.

The DSi has been out for a while now, and no slot 1 cartridge uses the new hardware yet....

As has been mentioned already, the DSi probably boots any slot 1 cartridge in some sort of "DS Compatibility" mode that doesn't have access to the new hardware.

Since the Acekard is a slot 1 cartridge, then none of the programs it launches would be able to access this hardware as well.

When/If someone figures out how to hack the downloadable program system and enable us to download anything we want, then you might see homebrew programs accessing the DSi hardware.

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i speculate that it has been hacked for sometime but the few who actually know what they are doing do not wish to release anything because there are now so many children in this hobby. before you actaully had to spend $200 to get a GBA flash linker and then weeks researching, hacking, patching roms just so they worked (partially). i don't think we will see dsi kits until the flash linker companies figure it out, which by the way they code their firmrwares won't be anytime soon.

-another world

9. gui3
    OP

Newcomer gui3 Member

United States
    interesting stuff. a bug part of my interest in this is just learning about the tech