Hacking Can any 3ds hackers help me with replacing a game's graphics

6Kyojin4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently try to start up a English menu translation project for the game Kenka Banchō 6. I'm having trouble implementing in my custom English graphics into the game, for some reason unknown to me when ever I put the graphics into the game it will either crash or the graphic wont show up at all. So far I have only been only able to replace the copyright screen but not much else. Join me will help me solve this problem and be able to move forward. I have followed many suggestions such as checking the files hex code, etc. and using many other tools such as kuriimu and bflim-extractor to resolve my issue but I have had no such luck in getting the custom graphics to work.

I am a graphic designer and I don't have much knowledge of coding outside beginners college level java and python, so I need so real assistance. Help would be very much appreciated.

Also I am currently researching the game's files and have mad an (W.I.P) index for graphics in the game's files
https://pastebin.com/JigdG2hy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What happens if you do simple pixel changes?

Most things won't have a file integrity check on a console (PC is a different matter). Compression (which could cause corruption if you did not catch that it was compressed -- compression works by grabbing sections from elsewhere in a file it presumes is static to use as a reference and then working from there) or overuse of resources (there being a limited amount of VRAM and your colouring outside the lines might have used more than was allocated/available, single pixel change should not change this though).

Does it work if you leave everything alone and unpack and repack?

6Kyojin4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens if you do simple pixel changes?

Most things won't have a file integrity check on a console (PC is a different matter). Compression (which could cause corruption if you did not catch that it was compressed -- compression works by grabbing sections from elsewhere in a file it presumes is static to use as a reference and then working from there) or overuse of resources (there being a limited amount of VRAM and your colouring outside the lines might have used more than was allocated/available, single pixel change should not change this though).

Does it work if you leave everything alone and unpack and repack?
Replacing one pixel broke the graphic
Capture.PNG

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would speak to a compression issue or maybe a mapping issue (though mapping should be separate).

Assuming you did not put an illegal value in the replaced pixel (depending upon the format you might not have all values within the range technically available) that would probably be compression.
Compression is usually easy enough to check for -- if the file compresses again a notable amount then it is probably not compressed, if it does not then it likely is. You can also try grabbing the file from stock version of the ROM in its VRAM and comparing it to what is in the ROM.

Also earlier I might have technically be incorrect -- LZ compression is self referential and most common on the GBA/DS/newer, Huffman, which is still supported in BIOS and has some uses, is more of a substitutional one that could change lengths as that is how it works (it finds small strings that can be substituted for larger repeated ones and if you accidentally used one of those small strings as your replacement it could cause a larger file to appear than was intended). https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece611/LempelZiv.pdf is my usual primer on compression for the curious there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/business/chocolate-price-increase-easter-holidays/index.html