Can an NTSC-J console be modded like an NTSC-U console?

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the cryptic title, I just didn't really know how to phrase it. Basically, I've been seeing 3DS consoles on eBay for relatively cheap prices, but they're specifically Japanese units. I live in the US, and was curious after being modded and installing Luma, if they would play US games, work fine with homebrew that's using English character sets, etc.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I apologize for the cryptic title, I just didn't really know how to phrase it. Basically, I've been seeing 3DS consoles on eBay for relatively cheap prices, but they're specifically Japanese units. I live in the US, and was curious after being modded and installing Luma, if they would play US games, work fine with homebrew that's using English character sets, etc.
After you install cfw, your system will play 3ds games from all regions. The only thing that you might consider is that the system will be in Japanese if you get a Japanese 3ds, but i think if you try to play a (US) copy of the game it will display in English (atleast i think so, for most games).. If you want to change the language on your system (from Japanese to English) you'd have to do a region change, though with that you'll lose eShop access including downloading/purchasing games, game updates, DLCs etc.

Last edited by CoolMe,

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you install cfw, your system will play 3ds games from all regions. The only thing that you might consider is that the system will be in Japanese if you get a Japanese 3ds, but i think if you try to play a (US) copy of the game it will display in English (atleast i think so, for most games).. If you want to change the language on your system (from Japanese to English) you'd have to do a region change, though with that you'll lose eShop access including downloading/purchasing games, game updates, DLCs etc.

Gotcha. With that, though, I suppose I could still install US .cias and (in theory) play them in English, yeah?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte