can an isp controll\decide your google search results?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by migles, Jun 30, 2015.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    in my country there are only about 3 internet companies..

i was looking for internet options to a friend, prices and speeds etc..
    when i searched on google the other major company the 2 first links showed up as normal but the other 8 are complaints about their service...

when i searched about my ISP, the page was full of official results like facebook account youtube etc..
    scrolled 3 pages, not a single page with complaints...

but if i go into forums i can see both of them got the same level of complaints...

so i am really suspicious that my isp slips a bill under google's door to make the other company looks bad...
    and i am really angry at this...

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Whilst I don't have a complete answer to your questions, I do know that sponsored sites get higher priority in google search results. There are even companies you can pay to help raise the priority of your website in search engines.

But higher priority doesn't automatically mean top place. There are other criteria used by search engines to determine the order they are listed in, such as how many people click which links after using a given search term.

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Well, your ISP actually routes all your IP requests, so from a technological PoV they could fake google or any other site.
    But thinking about that that might be a little too paranoid.

4. MasterLaser

MasterLaser Vaporeon!

Mar 13, 2010
    New Zealand
    Well google already change results based on any browsing info they have on you so technically this would not be hard to do at all. If they actually do it or not is another question.