Can a Wii play DVDs on 4.3u?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SuperTrever, Apr 18, 2011.

1. SuperTrever
    OP

SuperTrever GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2010
    United States
    I've been trying to use WiiMC to play a DVD but it keeps telling me that I'm using an invalid disk.

2. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    Ryccardo likes this.
  3. SuperTrever
    OP

Sep 20, 2010
    United States
    Dang. It says I have GC2-D3-2 (v2). Theres absolutely no way to work around this besides buying a mod chip?

4. FIX94

FIX94 Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Dec 3, 2009
    Germany
    ???
    You could use a USB HDD or buy a old wii drive which you could build in, but that's not very easy and your warranty would be gone. Even a modchip would not work because it's a D3-2.

5. SuperTrever
    OP

Sep 20, 2010
    United States
    Okay. I'll figure it out:P thanks!

6. Hells Guardian

Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 25, 2008
    United States
    Only options are USB loader for wii and hard mods for GC. If I'm not mistaken a wiikey fusion still works on the latest revision of the drives at least from the SD card. AS for movies and such USB hard drive again.

Your other option is to buy a new Wii disc drive that is very easily swapped out for the current one. It only requires three things to install a new drive.
    1. A triwing screwdriver
    2. You must know how to use a screwdriver. (If you don't put the wii down and back away slowly before you hurt yourself)
    3. That you be careful not to break any parts inside. don't worry too much as with every Nintendo system I've ever taken apart it's very strong and well built. but still be careful.

Oh and you must be able to switch the cables to the new drive. again very easy just take from one find where it goes on the other and put it in there. the hardest part is getting the ribbon cable into place while still trying to clip it down but if you do things right thats easy too.

7. Jonesrmj

Jonesrmj Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    Hi. I have a black nintendo wii model RVL-001 (In other words, it can play gamecube games) that came out in 2006, and I am trying to play dvds on it, but Wiimc claims that my wii is not capable of playing dvds, but when I go to the site to see what dvd chip my wii has. The image above/below shows what comes up. None of the dvd chips are the D3 ones, so I don't know why my wii isn't working. Can someone please help?

Attached Files:

Last edited by Jonesrmj, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:35 PM
  8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    D4 has the same moddability (none) of D3v2

Anyway those results are very unconclusive, the only 100% reliable way to know is looking at the drive electronics yourself

Actually no black Wiis were made until 2009 (the copyright year on the sticker is not a manufacturing date) so it's extremely likely to be at least a D3, therefore probably a D4 according to the site

Last edited by Ryccardo, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:42 PM
  9. Jonesrmj

Jonesrmj Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    So does this basically mean there is no way for me to play dvd movies on my wii using a physical disk?

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Sure, buy an older optical drive to replace the one you have

Preferably after checking if you do actually have a no-DVD drive

11. Jonesrmj

Jonesrmj Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    How can I check if I have a no-DVD drive? Do I have to take my wii apart?

12. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yeah (just like if you wanted to replace it, it's easy as long as you have the proper tools)

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Even if you have a DVD-compatible drive, the Wii doesn't play them very well.