Homebrew Can a ram expansion help my SNES emulater?

Strog211

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I want to say that I dont know a lot in this area, so if it won't work i wont be surprised. Im having problems with SNEemulDS. Its working how everyone says it would, but i want (if at all possible) to have it run more smoothly. Would one of the ram expansion packs help with that? Im just wondering if that would help smooth out some of the graphical glitches that go along with some games. Does anyone know if that would help?

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eh, yes. AFAIK, SnemulDS uses the RAM expansion pack to improve performance on certain games, especially the larger ones.

PS: I assume you hit "Add Reply" too soon
tongue.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNEmulDS can use extra RAM, but it will only help with large (>3 MB) games, and it will only decrease the slowdown caused by the paging engine. It will do absolutely nothing in the way of graphics or sound emulation, only overall speed with larger games.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It helps games above 3 megabytes run better. For example, Donkey Kong Country is a 4MB game. Without the expansion, every few seconds the action would skip. Basically the game would just pause for a slight milisecond. It's noticeable, but not too bad. The expansion fixes this problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't help real slowdown like when the game goes at only 80% speed.

Strog211

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... So is there anything I can do about the graphical glitches? I find them pretty annoying to say the least. Also, do you think that there might be somthing done about that in the near future, or is it pretty much inpossible for the ds? The ds would be so much better than playing them on the computer.

hdofu

Trophies
Website
www.wikitsune.com
XP
Country
United States
Strog211 said:
Hmm... So is there anything I can do about the graphical glitches? I find them pretty annoying to say the least. Also, do you think that there might be somthing done about that in the near future, or is it pretty much inpossible for the ds? The ds would be so much better than playing them on the computer.

*cough* psp, much better (though nowhere near perfect either) snes emulation*cough*

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll say that SNES DS emulation could be much better, but the developers seem uninterested at the moment since it's clearly very difficult. Archeid, SnemulDS' developer came out with a statement last year that his emu wasn't dead, but just on hold. But I haven't heard anything since then.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For layering issues, you can mess around with the options to try to get a working layer combination. For other graphical glitches, you'll probably have to live with it.

The main issue here is that the DS doesn't have enough power to emulate the SNES in software, so it uses the DS's native 2D hardware to greatly speed up rendering speed at the cost of graphical accuracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu